write_publications and read_publications access

Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Is there any way to create an app, either (private or public) with read_publications and/or write_publications access? These permissions are discussed in the documentation but I can't seem to actually grant my apps such authority. Does one need special approval for this access? There seems to be no visible option for these permissions when creating a private app and the usual OAUTH procedure yields an error:

Oauth error missing_shopify_permission: write_publications, read_publications

I'd like to automate publishing products to Facebook and the Storefront API, but so far I've got nothing.

NOTE: this is  a dupe of a post which I accidentally put in a non-technical forum.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
296 32 59

Hey Josh,

We're currently working on introducing a simple interface to request scopes such as `read_publications`, `write_publications` and `read_all_orders`, which will also include the criteria for each.

For the time being, if you're looking to use this access scope, you can submit a request through the support form in your Partners dashboard. The scope is available for private apps, and public apps which are not Sales Channels (or that act as such). 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

Thanks for the reply! I was looking everywhere for information on this. There was some discussion in other threads but nothing definitive. I'll request permission in the support form like you suggest.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
9 0 1

I did as you said and asked for these access scopes  but I was told that they are not available for private apps. Also, I was told I couldn't do a workaround where I created a public app utilizing OAUTH but didn't publish it to the app store.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
296 32 59

Hey Josh,

Sorry about that mixup.

I've gone ahead and sent you a follow-up that will allow us to get the scope sorted out for you.

0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi Zameer,

I am facing the same issue.  Our company has a private app that would do better control of managing our products on Shopify.  We will need the read and write publication permissions.  I have already submitted a ticket to Shopify Partner Support but no response yet.  Can you help to sort this out for us too?  Thx.

0 Likes