Adding description to product variants

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

5 years ago a client had this specific requirement. Looked strange at first, why would you need to have additional descriptions for variants? I was wrong, many merchants need to display different descriptions for different variants.

Can be a different shipping time, preorder message, mentioning various variant information or telling users how exactly the variants differ.

My first attempt was a hardcoded solution. You can see the original post in the Shopify forums: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Demo-change-description-in-product-with-different-var...

It's a long post, many store owners were interested in implementing this solution. This will still work but only if you need to do it for few products. On large stores, this solution will not scale.

I have a better and more robust solution. It is an app. It does exactly this, lets merchants adding variant descriptions.

I believe that there are may many ways merchants can benefit from this. If you want to give it a test or see a demo, please go to https://apps.shopify.com/dynamic-variant-description

You have a nice free trial and the app is free for development and Shopify employees.

Happy to respond to any technical or app-related questions.

Thank you

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products
Replies 2 (2)

natashadisante
Shopify Partner
126 0 14

Hi @Mircea_Piturca ,

Have you considered metafields as one approach here? While there is no interface for them natively in Shopify Admin you can use an app like Mixtable that allows for very easy bulk editing of your metafields from an Excel-like spreadsheet.

Mircea_Piturca
Shopify Partner
1547 44 345

Hi @natashadisante 

Yes, metafields are the solution here. You can store additional variant descriptions in them.

This is how my app works, it is a layer on top of metafields with a nice UI, a product list and a nice rich text editor.

Finally—Add variant descriptions to your products