App Idea for a Developer

8 0 0
I have been trying, for months, to get a question answered through Shopify Support. I've been told multiple times they cannot support me, or answer my question, but I am not sure why. Today they told me I should suggest that someone make an app to solve the problem. I honestly don't know why this would need to be an app, and I just need my simple question answered so forgive me if this isn't a good idea for an app. We use shopping engines such as Shopping.com, Shopzilla,com, Nextag.com and Microsoft Bing Cashback (among many others.) Each one of these has conversion code that requires we input custom variables that we get from the code from Shopify. I have no way of knowing what these variables would be and Shopify Support refuses to give them to me. For example, the Bing Cashback implementation requires the following conversion code, and in it we need specific variables from the Shopify backend. You'll see in the code below where these variables would need to go. (for example 'ORDER_NUMBER' needs to be replaced with a Shopify variable. Can anyone help? I'm desperate. Thank you in advance. <!–Begin cashback Tracking Pixel Code --> <script type="text/javascript"> <!-- var jf_merchant_id = „12345‟; var jf_merchant_order_num = 'ORDER_NUMBER'; var jf_purchased_items = new Array(); // adding cart items FOR EACH PURCHASED ITEM... // add cart item var jf_item = new Object(); jf_item.mpi = 'ITEM_PRODUCT_ID'; jf_item.price = 'ITEM_PRICE'; jf_item.quantity = ITEM_QUANTITY; jf_purchased_items.push (jf_item); NEXT PURCHASED ITEM //--> </script> <script src="https://ssl.bing.com/cashback/javascripts/1x1tracking.js" type="text/javascript"> </script> <!--End cashbackTracking Pixel Code -->
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 284

You don’t need an app for this. You need someone who knows a bit of Liquid and knows where to put that code. I do.

Contact me if you’re interested.

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1179 1 62

The variables are documented in the wiki. For example, here is what is available for Order. To use these you need to put them between {{ and }} brackets.

Your script should look something like this with the variables replaced:

<!–Begin cashback Tracking Pixel Code —>
<script type="text/javascript"> <!-- var jf_merchant_id = "12345"; var jf_merchant_order_num = "{{ order.id }}"; var jf_purchased_items = new Array(); // adding cart items FOR EACH PURCHASED ITEM... {% for line in order.line_items %} // add cart item var jf_item = new Object(); jf_item.mpi = '{{ line.sku }}'; jf_item.price = '{{ line.price }}'; jf_item.quantity = {{ line.quantity }}; jf_purchased_items.push (jf_item); {% endfor %} //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ssl.bing.com/cashback/javascripts/1x1tracking.js"> </script> <!--End cashbackTracking Pixel Code -->

You insert this into the “Additional Scripts & Content” section in your admin, under Preferences > Checkout & Payment. Check out the wiki article on Conversion Tracking for more details.

Take a look at our Apps: www.bookthatapp.com ♥ www.searchifyapp.com ♥ www.productsassistant.com
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
42 0 0

Thanks for the clarification, this is sort of what I thought.

When I brought this to Edward and asked for suggestions on the variables needed, I was told that what the javascript was trying to do was beyond what the basic variable / additional scripts could accomplish, and that this would be easier with an app. Clearly there was some confusion as to what was going on with this.

Mike

Edit: Edward wasn’t aware of the Additional Scripts feature, which is why he suggested it couldn’t be done in the checkout and thought an App would be better. This makes sense now.

0 Likes