App permissions - Access customer data?

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 6

I've looked around on these boards and to be frank I'm astounded not to find much information about this.
Just now I've tried to install an app for what I think should be basic functionality (volume discounts)... when I look at the permissions I'm giving the app I stopped in my tracks!
I understand how apps work... but I don't understand why a 3rd party developer needs customer names, email address, phone numbers and physical address.
Would someone please explain
Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.47.12 am.png

1 Like
Highlighted

Hi,

What app is this? As an app developer sometimes it's nice to have have certain pieces of data. It could be used for a variety of different reasons that may make the app function.

I would definitely say that if you don't think the app needs the data or you don't trust the app, then you should choose not to install it.

ui-gab
https://www.uiavenue.ca
We specialize in data analytics. If I've helped you today, please give our give our app a try (15-day free trial) https://apps.shopify.com/ui-ave-analytics and maybe write a good review.
Send me a message if you want a free data analysis consultation.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @normdouglas, I see no reason for that app to see customer data unless they are looking at the "total spent" data column for customers, but that doesn't make sense to me... I think you are smart to be concerned about the request for customer data from this app. Furthermore, looking at the privacy policy for this app (linked in the app listing) there is NO mention whatsoever about access to customer data (big red flag).

For context, we've developed an app that manages customer data and we've gone to great lengths to talk about how we responsibly manage that customer data. Some of our competitors don't even offer a privacy policy, which is a huge liability to store owners.

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
Customer Fields app (since 2015)
Meteor Mega Menu app (since 2014)
0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Is there an analytics dashboard?

For our environmental loyalty app soon to be released our dashboard will show on a map location clusters of customers and various filtered data sets i.e. date of purchase with rewards earned, redeemed etc 

We'll need to include customer emails in these data sets so you as a merchant can export and use this data in your marketing. For example you could then make email campaigns specific high redeemers or in geographical locations who prefer to spend X amount for Y reward on Z product category.

As a holder of personally identifiable information each app development team must be Abe to remove any of this data or anonymise if the customer comes to you and requests this is deleted (or you should be able to do this in the app).

@normdouglas wrote:

I've looked around on these boards and to be frank I'm astounded not to find much information about this.
Just now I've tried to install an app for what I think should be basic functionality (volume discounts)... when I look at the permissions I'm giving the app I stopped in my tracks!
I understand how apps work... but I don't understand why a 3rd party developer needs customer names, email address, phone numbers and physical address.
Would someone please explain
Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 6.47.12 am.png

0 Likes
Highlighted

That's a good point. 

Have you reached out to the app developer and asked why the require "View customer" access? 

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
Customer Fields app (since 2015)
Meteor Mega Menu app (since 2014)
0 Likes