App that allows DISCOUNTS to Apply to Only ONE Item in an order??

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Hello Forum, 

We are running a promotion with a discount code right now and are having problems with people using the code to buy more than one item. The code applies to an entire collection of a certain color - which is a common type of sale that we run. 

We are looking for an app that will allow a discount code to ONLY APPLY TO ONE ITEM in an order. I have not found an app that does this task specifically. Shopify support did reccomend two apps, but neither of them seem to do exactly what I'm looking for. If they do, it is not advertised. They are below. 

Has anyone had this dillemma as well? How did you solve it? Or has anyone used the following two apps to solve this problem? Thank you for any feedback! 

https://apps.shopify.com/buy-x-get-one $16.99/ mo

https://apps.shopify.com/unlimited-upsell $24.99/mo

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 0 14

Hi, Crissy!

This is Martha from the Shopify Guru Team. 

The built-in discount code function on Shopify Allows you to create discount codes and refine their reach to a certain extent, a code that applies to an individual product, a certain variant, or all items in a collection. 

If you are looking for an app to further refine this discount, I would suggest looking into one of these apps that help limit order quantities:

Both options have customer reviews that make it seem like this could be the fix!

Hope this helps!
Best, 
Martha

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
27 0 4

Another great app is the Automatic Discount code, this works for buy x get y promotions but also with some logic you can apply disounts based on the number items in the cart so that on four products in a certain collection you apply a 25% discount, on 5 20% etc. I recommend watching the app developers videos for a walk through. 

https://apps.shopify.com/automatic-discount-rules

We use for the functionality on this site - www.8ball.co.uk

Tim Silver - www.tshirtify.net - Shopify Partner
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
142 0 25

Hey @Crissy, go with Automatic Discount. You can automate the application of a discount on a collection (only the items of this collection will be discounted) and you can restrict also by product type. I made a video showing you exactly how to apply a discount to only 1 item within a collection X with an additional restriction by product type to only trigger the discount if this product type rule matches. You can even add a "$ amount spent" rule over the top. Watch this: https://youtu.be/x3TtMkxtub4

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Hi Derek, 

Thank you so much for creating a video to answer my question!

But I don't think it will solve our problem becuase we don't want to have a minimum dollar amount spent to trigger the discount. This might be a good workaround though since most of our items are around the same price...but even if we did this, there are still two more things that don't work:

1. We would still like the discount to be triggered by the customer entering the discount code

2. And also, the rule you created only applies when only items from collection-a are in the cart. Ideally, at the end of your video, that cart should still be acceptable. The only thing that would happen is that the customer enters the code and the discount applies to only one item from 'collection-a,' aka only one rubik's cube (wholessale item).

Does that make sense? I would like an app to be able to: 

1. Verify that a discount code has been entered by the customer

2. Scan the cart for items that are part of the collection associated with the discount code

3. Apply the discount code to only one item in the cart from that collection. Perhaps it can chose the most expensive item - that would be the best. 

I hope that makes sense. If I missed something in your video please let me know. Thank you again for that and I will defintely keep your app in mind for other promotions that we run. 

Best, 

Crissy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
142 0 25

Hi Crissy, we'll come up with a new app called Customer Milestones soon and this should be exactly what you need: manually or automatically apply a discount on only the most expensive item in the cart from Collection X. Stay tuned. Planned for April 2017. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Wow! Hehe ok thanks Derek! You're great! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

thank you for the replies @martha and @tim, but we still want the customer to enter the discount code. we currently have a promotion running where they only get the secret discount code if they do something, so having automated discounts with these apps will not work. 

can't believe this is so hard to solve! if you come up with anything else please let me know! thank you for the support though. definitely keeping these apps in mind for other purposes. 

best, crissy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Hi Derek, 

Do you happen to have any updates here? :)

Best, Crissy

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
142 0 25

Not yet but we'll submit the app early May, then it takes 2-3 weeks to get approved.

0 Likes