App that assigns delivery drivers to orders?

Highlighted
8 0 0

Looking for an app that assigns a delivery driver once a customer has made a particular purchase on our website. Does such an app exist?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
429 47 96

Hey, @gav0192 

I recommend checking out the Shopify Local Delivery app. We have a guide here on how the app works and how you can download the companion app on iOS and Android for your fleet of drivers to use. However, the delivery assignment is not completely automatic. After you create delivery lists, you can start delivery from the app, print the list and route, or share the list with a staff member or driver so they can start the delivery.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for the app link, it seems like it's what I'm looking for!

Just a quick question on the features to clarify - let's say I have a food delivery site and a customer orders from one of the restaurants, will the delivery drivers who are staff members see this order and accept it themselves? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
13 0 0

Out of curiosity what would your criteria be for assigning drivers?

We, too, have such a need and as a software developer, I have come to the conclusion that it really can't be done effectively.  For instance, your app automatically assigns 10 orders to a driver, and you have another app that creates an optimized route for you based on distance.  Or, perhaps you have one app that does both.

The problem we encountered is that one of the orders has placed a restriction on when the delivery can be made.  But, if you need to go in and change the route to accommodate that order, then we found that we would have been better off not having the app in the first place.

Our approach was to create a hybrid of automation and hand tweaking.

We use the automation to assign the orders to the drivers.  We then wrote software to have Google's Geo Location API optimize the route.  This was done in one app.

After that, we spend an hour or so tweaking the route to accommodate the anomalies.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

I'm looking for an app that sends a customer's order to the delivery driver's ''hub'' in which they can choose to either accept or ignore the order, based on their schedules. Similar to how Uber drivers accept orders I guess.

Does such an app exist?

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi @Dirk,

Thanks for the app link, it seems like it's what I'm looking for!

Just a quick question on the features to clarify - let's say I have a food delivery site and a customer orders from one of the restaurants, will the delivery drivers who are staff members see this order and accept it themselves?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
429 47 96

Hey, @gav0192 

Delivery staff and drivers can download the Shopify Local Delivery app on iOS or Android to access directions, send notifications, and update delivery statuses. All this while you manage deliveries in real-time. Local delivery allows customers to buy your products online and have you deliver them straight to their doorstep. An email lets them know you’re on your way, so you can drop their package at the door without any face-to-face contact. It’s safe, fast, and convenient.

Here are the steps:

1. Your customer places an order, selects “Local delivery” at checkout, and pays online through your new online store.
2. You receive the order via email and start preparing it.
3. You use the order’s local delivery page to view the customer’s address and plan your route.
4. Head out and tell your customer you’re on your way.
5. Safely drop the package at the customer’s door.
7. That’s it—you're done!

We have a quick start guide that you can follow here for setting up local delivery. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Thanks for the reply! 

So there is no way for the drivers to assign the orders themselves on the app?

0 Likes