App that locks down accounts to 1 login/location/device at a time?

Excursionist
23 1 9

We're using Shopify to host some gated content, which can only be accessed by purchasing our "subscription" product in the Shopify store.

We'd like to discourage people from sharing their login by preventing multiple people from using the same login at the same time to access the gated content.

Are there any apps that will do this sort of thing out-of-the-box?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
423 0 77

Hi, Eric!

My name is Jade, I am with the Social Care Team at Shopify.

We have a few apps in our app store that can prevent portions of your website from being accessed except by members. If you use an app like Locksmith, you can tag customers that have purchased a specific product so only they can create an account using their email address. There are other ways you can create members-only sections using the app. There isn't a fool-proof way of preventing customers from sharing their account login details but from what I found in our App Store, Locksmith has the most options available to help reduce the chances of that happening.

If you're interested in checking out some of the other apps as well just in case there's one that's a better fit, here are the other alternatives that will work:

I'm here if you have any questions along the way!

Jade | Social Care

0 Likes
Excursionist
23 1 9

Thanks for digging into this for us Jade!

In your reply, you mentioned:

Locksmith has the most options available to help reduce the chances of that happening

Can you elaborate on what features in Locksmith help to achieve this? We are already using Locksmith (which is great btw), but I didn't see anything like this in there.
Their support also told me that it can't satisfy this exact use-case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Jade, I am wondering if there is an app that will help me prevent customers from creating multiple accounts. I am having an issue with customers forgetting their passwords, instead of clicking forgot password they just open a new account. This has caused confusion and I'd like to keep each customer dedicated to ONE ACCOUNT ONLY!! If there is an app that recognizes their name, address, email, etc. This would be very beneficial for me. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi . Did you ever find an app that allows you to do this? We're also looking for a solution for this.

0 Likes