As a merchant, should my outside developer make a Custom or Private app?

Tourist
5 0 0

Following the blog post about the new app types: https://www.shopify.com/partners/blog/shopify-public-apps

The recommended approach is to now create Custom Apps in the Partner Dashboard and then associate it with a single store. Most likely it would be in the developer's Partner account.

However, as a merchant, is that in my best interest if in the future the relationship with the developer ends? What is the recommended course of action when that happens? Does the merchant retain control somehow and can rotate the keys?

This is assuming the merchant already has control of the source code in their own hosting environment.

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 1 5

Hello @etrolmos 

I think you should ask your developer to create a private app and host the app in your hosting. So in future, if you have any trouble, with developer, you can have your setup working without any issue,

Checkout Our Bestseller Shopify App
WhatsApp + SMS Notification
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

@magecomp Thanks for your reply.

What about in the case that I need integrations that aren't allowed with Private Apps and instead need a Custom App?

Would the solution that for that be: the merchant creates their own Partner account and invite the developer?

I could see this being somewhat of a pain if a dev agency already has a Partner account with their team/staff configured.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
25 1 5
Hello
I meant custom app and that's what I exactly meant that merchant should create own developer account and give the access to developer from it.

Checkout Our Bestseller Shopify App
WhatsApp + SMS Notification
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 2
Depending on the nature of the app, you might not want it to be a private app. Private apps are not able to take advantage of several Shopify features, such as app extensions or proxies.

You could setup your own partner account and add developer as staff member if you're concerned about that. But if you're concerned about that, then you should also take into account who takes care of hosting.

If developer is making the app and managing hosting, you might want to sign a contract to ensure their responsibility of handing over source code as well migrating the app to another developer upon their termination.
0 Likes