Associating products

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi, I know that Shopify uses variations to create different versions of a product. What I want is not to create a variable Product, but create simple products and associate them.

Why?

I can have different description for each variation and have multiple images for a variation. Opening 1 product shows the related products. I can use the related product image as a swatch to open it .

I can show all associated products on the category page withs its proper image.

Challenge: If I associated for example a white product with the black one, the black one has automatically an association with the  white one too.

I looked at the cross and upsell apps for a similar realisation but found nothing until now.

PS: zalando works this way. 

https://www.zalando.fr/adidas-performance-alphaedge-4d-chaussures-de-running-neutres-ad542a3fy-a11.h...

clicking on a variation thumbnail, opens a new page with a different url and description. This is not a variable product but an associated one,

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
73 7 13

Hey, @3Goat!

Thanks for reaching out today. By the sounds of it, you are looking for your product pages to have advanced capabilities when it comes to recommended products that are shown at the bottom of the page. On top of that, you would like to have your variants to have their own unique product descriptions.

If that's the case, you can certainly accomplish this by installing a couple of apps to your Shopify store. In order to have variant product descriptions, you should check out Variant Descriptions King. They have a demo of their app so you can see it in action here. The app offers a 14-day free trial and starts at $9.99/mo afterward. 

As far as product recommender apps go, there are quite a few different options at your disposal. One app that is quite unique in its approach is Bold Brain. It uses AI to build automated recommendation widgets for related products, recently viewed products, often purchased with, etc. Otherwise, you can use a traditional product recommender such as Cross-Sell Ace.

Let me know if this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes