Solved

Auto Add Product to Cart with Discount Code

TetonicDev
Shopify Partner
3 1 0

Hi! 

I having been searching around and haven't found a good solution / app for the following situation. 

I would like to run a promotion where customers who buy X get Y. The current challenge is that I don't want the customer to have to add Y to the cart. Instead I would like to have Y get added to the cart when they enter a discount code. 

So customer enters discount code with X in the Cart and Y will auto-add and then be 100% discounted. 

I have tested EasyGift: Auto Add to Cart, Selly, Sales Motivator ‑ Free Gifts none of which offer a auto-add product to cart based on discount code. 

I am open to rolling my own solution but would love to know where I might start. Sounds like shopify scripts might be a solution be my client is not using shopify plus. 

Thanks for the ideas and support. 

Accepted Solutions (2)

Erica00
Excursionist
18 1 4

This is an accepted solution.

Hi!

I have used the first method in this article and it worked perfectly for me. You can take a look at it: https://popupsmart.com/blog/shopify-add-to-cart-link

Hope you find it helpful too

View solution in original post

TetonicDev
Shopify Partner
3 1 0

Conclusion... This is not possible because Shopify protocols don't allow apps to modify the products on the checkout page (url - /checkout). This could be done prior to checkout but it would require theme compatibility which isn't scalable for app developers. 

Shoutout to Alex at EasyGift: Auto Add to Cart for helping clarify this question for me. 

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Erica00
Excursionist
18 1 4

Hi!

I have used the first method in this article and it worked perfectly for me. You can take a look at it: https://popupsmart.com/blog/shopify-add-to-cart-link

Hope you find it helpful too

TetonicDev
Shopify Partner
3 1 0

Thanks @Erica00! Great suggestion. 

TetonicDev
Shopify Partner
3 1 0

Conclusion... This is not possible because Shopify protocols don't allow apps to modify the products on the checkout page (url - /checkout). This could be done prior to checkout but it would require theme compatibility which isn't scalable for app developers. 

Shoutout to Alex at EasyGift: Auto Add to Cart for helping clarify this question for me. 

fabmol1
Excursionist
31 0 9

Hey

What solution did you end up going with? This is so frustrating that this cant be done directly within shopify. I just wish the automatic promotion within Shopify would just do the last step and add the product to the cart. We can't expect a customer to do this.

Plus I don't want another add to take up more resources and another monthly fee.

Fabio

fabmol1
Excursionist
31 0 9

I just used the Easy Gift add to cart app - It did the job for the time.