Autoresonse email for native newsletter form?

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 1 2

The time-honored way to get subscribers is to offer something free.
The low cost way to do that is with something digital: PDFs, images, how-to videos, what have you.

But the only good way to do that is with an auto-response email!
The native newsletter form lets people subscribe, but doesn't have a way to provide a digital product in return.

That feature is badly needed to grow a fledgling business.
So far, I have not found any apps that provide it.

Is there one I have missed, or can Shopify add it to their native app.

(Once I have accumulated subscribers and customers, email campaigns begin to make sense.
 So that is the path to monetization. But first come the subscribers! (Hard to get without a digital reward...)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
540 24 113

This is an accepted solution.

Shopify itself doesn't offer any mass-mailing or newsletter-type functionality. The default newsletter forms in themes only add the subscriber as a customer with the "accepts marketing" flag set. You would have to use a 3rd-party solution to sync those customers to a newsletter list, from where you can then set up mailings, autoresponders, etc. Up until recently I would have recommended Mailchimp, but since the breakup I would look into alternatives like CleverReach, Mailerlite, Klaviyo, ... there are dozens of options.

One alternative route for offering a download to subscribers might be to redirect your theme's newsletter form after submission to a page that links to the download. You would want to add the seo hidden metafield to the page containing the download link so people won't find it through Google or by searching on your store.

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 1 2
Aha! The second part of your reply is great! That, I can use.
I had no idea there was such a thing as an SEO "hidden" metafield.
That could well be the solution!

Thanks for the tip re: newsletter apps, as well. I'll look into the ones
you mentioned. Right now, I need to grow a mailing list I can use for
crowdfunding. A newsletter is a big part of that too, of course.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

Who knew? In one of the weirdest cases of hidden features, MailMunch turns out to be the perfect tool for the job.

There is no indication at all that MailMunch has an autoresponse feature, until you publish the subscription form.

Then it asks you if you want to set up an autoresponder. Free, no less!

Absolutely perfect functionality. I just wish it hadn't been so well hidden.

They can also send you a notification email when someone subscribes. But that feature alone is a whopping $10 a month.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 1 2

AND IT GETS BETTER, with more well-hidden features, worth knowing about!

When you set up MailMunch, you not only get an app with its settings, you get a page on the MailMunch site 
(one page for each store, actually) so when the Finish/Publish button takes you there, TAKE NOTE OF THE URL.

There, we discover that the DEFAULT notification setting is WEEKLY. But you can select DAILY, and still be in the free plan.
It is INSTANT NOTIFICATIONS that require an upgrade.

0 Likes