Best way to customize 3-pack and 6-pack products

2 0 1

We have 6 flavors of spices that we want to sell as a 3-pack or 6-pack and let customers choose the quantity of each flavor to go in each pack. What's the best way to do this?

Each flavor has to be associated with a variant for keeping track of inventory, so it comes down to allowing the customer to choose the quantity of each variant in a way that prevents them from choosing more than 3 or 6 in total.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 17 47

Hi, @pauldrecksler

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

It sounds like you might benefit from an app that can help bundle your products! Check out some of those options here

Otherwise, you might want to work with some other options like creating many combinations of variants, or creating a product with variants like 1, 3, or 6 items and having the customer do some manual inputs on the spices they want. This could be in additional fields on the product page or by adding notes to the cart page! Depending on the volume and inventory tracking requirements, this could be doable. 

Take a look at some of those options and let us know what you choose or if you need some advice on narrowing down the frontrunners!

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 1

Hi Max - Thanks for the reply. The bundle apps available would not be ideal because their setup would require each spice to be its own product, and the bundle to be a separate product. However we do not sell the spices individually, only in packs of 3 or 6. We could certainly "hide" the individual spice products, and I thought about that, but it adds a few extra steps and a monthly subscription that aren't needed.

Allowing for user-written manual inputs would not be ideal either because it leaves too much room for error from the customer. For example, the customer might choose "3 pack" but write in 4 spice names. Or alternatively choose a 6-pack but only write in 4 names. (How do we know which 2 spices to double-up on?) It's best to minimize user error by limiting their options to pre-filled selectors like dropdown menus. 

We're not really after a bundle as much as we are customizing options within one product. An equivalent would be like if a chocolate company sold a 32-count chocolate box, and the user could select the chocolate flavors that go inside from 60 flavors. There needs to be quantity limits, so that the user couldn't add more than 32 chocolates, which manually inputting won't account for. 

Since we're only dealing with a 6-pack and not a 32-pack, we decided to reverse what the user inputs. Instead of listing the Spices and the user inputs the Quantity of each that they want, we list 6 individual dropdown menus (Spice #1, Spice #2, Spice #3, etc) w/ 6 choices each and the user selects the spice flavor from each dropdown. I set the default as one of each flavor. So if the user wanted more than one of a particular spice, they would just choose it more than once in each respective dropdown. This works fine for a 6-pack w/ 6 flavor options, but would obviously become a cumbersome process if we had more options than that.

I appreciate your ideas and don't mean to sound like I don't with the over-explanation above of why they would not work for us. I only took the time to explain why to help anyone else who's reading this in a similar position. I actually found the solution we went with in another comment on a different Shopify thread: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Mix-n-Match-up-to-6-items-to-create-one-item-i-e-...

This was the example site from that thread that I modeled: https://saltandstraw.com/product/pick-your-own-five-pack/

When I saw the example, it clicked in my mind that I could save us some headache of dealing with quantity limitations by having the user select the spice flavor 6 times.

Here is our implementation of it: https://shop.rondenoculinarydesigns.com/products/rondeno-spice-collection-6-pack

The biggest downfall to this solution is that the flavor choices are not synced to any inventory. The flavor choice dropdowns are basically just us collecting pre-filled customization info following these instructions: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/products/features/get-customization-information-for... - The user choices are not synced to any variant or inventory system, so we have to do that in house. This is a perfectly suitable solution for our needs, but I bring it up because it may not work for others. 

Thanks again for your help Max and I hope this thread helps other people who find it who are looking for the same setup. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
578 17 47

Hi, @pauldrecksler

Max, again. 

Thanks for the added information. I think that will definitely help you get some more feedback from the community, especially with the example links. 

The first thing that springs to mind is the option to use some product builder apps. Have you explored that at all? Some of these can be quite pricey, but it might be worth a look.

There are also some other forums posts where merchants were looking for some help with "mix & match" solutions, that might spark some ideas for you, check those out here and here

Let us know if that helps narrow the search at all!

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes