Buy 2 Get 1 Free

Solved
2 0 0

Hi Jason,

Hoping you can offer some advice or clarification at least. I've set up a Buy X Get Y discount code and linked it to automatically generate should the conditions be met... my question is would it be possible to limit the number of products the customer would get free?

For instance, the automatic discount set up is "Buy 2 Get 1 Free"... is there a way to limit this to ONLY allow 1 free item even if the customer goes on to place 6 items in their cart? At the moment, if a customer places 6 qualifying items in the cart, it gives them 2 free and charges them for 4 only... quite rightly as per the current conditions.

My issue is when it comes to international buyers. As this amount would qualify them for free shipping through my website, I'd end up losing money as the weight of the shipment, and the shipping fees, got larger... so if they placed 6 in their cart and only ended up paying for 4 (instead of say 5 and only getting 1 free), I'd end up losing money instead of making a profit.

Hope that makes sense :)

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Mark

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hi, Mark (@LumberjackBeard)!

I love the fact that you've tested the discount code out yourself and realize the feature has a loophole. Your question not only makes sense, but it's also a true testament of great entrepreneurship. 

You're correct. The system isn't smart enough only allow 1 free item even if the customers go on to place 6 items in their cart. There are two ways to look at this issue and tackle it. 

First, based on your name, I'm assuming you're selling beard care products. If so, why limit yourself to Buy 2 Get 1 Free? I recommend going bolder and set up Buy 5 Get 1 Free, especially when the Black Friday/Cyber Monday (BFCM) is just around the corner. The key here is to find out what kind of promotion that can entice the new customers while making sure you have a healthy gain in the profit margin. Another assumption that I have is that your beard care products come in different scents. By increase the purchasing limit, it allows your customers to test out each scent with a bonus product when they shop. To me, from a customer's point of view, I'll be tempted to buy them all just to see which scent I like the most. These two assumptions are based on the last assumption that the products don't expire in a certain period of time. My scope of knowledge is limited to the shelf lives of beard care products. If they don't have a firm short shelf life, this method not only resolves our API's limitations, but it also helps to boost up your sales without you having to worry about losing money for the international orders.

Second, if the first suggestion seems too bold for your business, the next best option is to source out apps that can help us create discounts or bundles that work for your promotion. If you want to create a more advanced discount rule, such as the one you've mentioned, come check out Discount Ninja. Another way to look at this is to create bundles at a discounted price for your customers. Apps, such as Bundles, Bundle Products, and Bundler - Product Bundles, can help you set up bundles with promotions to attract customers. Feel free to try the apps out and remove the ones that you don't want to keep before the trial period ends to avoid app charges.

Third, if the apps aren't achieving your goal, you can consult with Shopify Experts. One of the developers can create specific customizations you need at the store with a contracted fee so the discount rates work better for your business. 

These are the three options available to help us bypass this limitation. Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help.

Best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0
Thank you Jason,

Some very solid suggestions there. I already offer bundles as stand-alone products (not using any of the bundle apps) but only offer one scent combo per bundle. This discount was to enable people to mix and match outside of that. I found a work-around in the end that meets my needs though.

I've opted to go with a standard $ off discount code (at the amount of my products... helps that they're all the same cost), set to apply once an order reaches a specific amount. I've embedded this code in the checkout page code so it automatically applies if the minimum amount conditions are met. I've also set the maximum number of uses of the code per purchase to 1 so it gets around the issue of customers potentially getting more than one free item per order.

Thank you so much for your time. I had taken serious consideration to your suggestion to up my offer to buy 4 or 5, get 1 free, but in the end opted against it as I'd rather give people a price break earlier as we're already in the higher cost side of our market.

Thanks again,
Mark
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hi, Mark (@LumberjackBeard)!

You're most welcome. I'm glad that you found my suggestions useful and you were able to come up with a brilliant workaround by editing the code at the checkout page. By comparison, I'd say your workaround is the best. I love your approach and the reasoning behind this decision. You not only think about your customers, but you also demonstrate that you've done enough market research to know where your product price stands.

Just in case if you're gearing up for the upcoming BFCM, come check out this informational guide. I'm rooting for you to have fantastic sales!

All the best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 3
Is this fixed yet? I see a lot of disappointed and upset customers that we can't have a true buy one get one free for the holiday.

A customer adds X to cart, and an additional X is added to the cart free.

If they add 2, 2 are added free.

As it stands now, Shopify is requiring the customer adds the free X to the cart manually, with no issues, hassle or questions.

I'd like to join the masses and continue to request the existing "select a free gift" functionality (not to be confused with an auto BOGO) be added ASAP.

Possible?

And no, because of the limits in the system, the existing apps in the Shopify store do not accomplish an Auto buy X, X appears in cart free.

Pretty frustrating. It's hard to imagine developers testing the new functionality, adding something to cart and then not noticing that nothing actually happens... ?

Please advise ASAP...

Shopify Customers
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
398 73 144

Hey, @Steve_Coulton!

Thank you for your feedback again. As promised, I've already forwarded your request to our development team last time. Just as how I had explained before, at the general support level, this is what we can do. The team is aware that there's a group of merchants wanting this feature to get fixed. That being said, there's no promise in the timeline when the feature will be updated. 

If there are more merchants who'd like this feature to be updated, kindly leave your .myshopify.com URL and a line indicating that you'd like to upvote this feature. The more votes we get, the more likely the team will start work on it. To reduce the thread's length and avoid repetitive responses, I may not reply to every single request post. Instead, I will mark "Like" on the post, so you know your request has been submitted already.

I'm actively monitoring this thread and I promise to forward every single one of your requests up to our development team. Thank you for the valuable feedback. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated!

Best,

Jason

0 Likes