Solved

Can I set up a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal on my Shopify store?

AltugTheTeesion
Visitor
2 0 2

Hello all,

I want to set up a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal to my store, When customers add three products to cart, the cheapest products will be free.

I`ve been looking for this service for days, talked with app developers and experts(still talking tough). Mostly they offer gift system, but I have 8 products different prices, but this gift system limits me. 

Also, I want to giveaway discount codes for only single purchases. 

Do you know a service, app or expert can do this?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (2)

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

There are three ways to resolve this issue for you. It's a fantastic business idea that you want to offer the customers Buy 2 Get 1 free. Here are the ways you can achieve this.

The first way is to use the Discounts function right from your Shopify admin. Shopify offers both Codes and Automatic. From what I gathered, you want to give away the discount codes for a single purchase only. The steps below are creating the discount from Codes section (so you can generate the giveaway codes for your customers)

1. Shopify admin > Discounts > Codes 04_18-jvpuh-fcehj
  2. In the Discount code section, create the code name. In the Options section, select Buy X Get Y04_25-a4gb4-0p4dz

3. In the Customer buys section, type in 2 and select Specific collections. In the Customer gets section, type in 1 and select Specific collections and Free at At a Discounted Value 

04_26-gx6zb-sayr1
  4. Again, in the Customer buys section, click on Browse. A popup window shows all the collections available. Select the collections where the products you want to be included in the promotion. If it's the whole store, select all the collections. Once done, click on Add 04_29-twzvj-s0wdv

04_30-jghps-d0sg3

5. Repeat the same steps for the Customer gets section

6. In the Customer eligibility section, assuming you want to make it available to everyone, so select Everyone. In the Usage limits section, select Limit to one use per customer04_34-vibfk-42e63
  7. You can adjust the rules to tailor what you need accordingly. Once finished, don't forget to click on Save at the top right corner 04_37-l0kay-q1prq
    The cheapest product is automatically the free one by default so you don't need to worry about setting this up. For more information, feel free to check out Create a Buy X Get Y discount.

The second way is through the apps such as Discount Ninja and Discounted Upsells ‑ Upsell, where the app can set up advanced discounted rules.

The third way is exactly what you've been doing, contacting the Shopify experts and consulting how they can build a customized feature just for you.

I hope that information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out! 

All the best,

Jason

Allan | Shopify Community
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

View solution in original post

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, Stacey (@EurbanPanda)!

Thanks for reaching out! To answer your question, let's go over the general idea of the discount code from Shopify.

The discount code requires the customer to put both products (one purchased and one free add-on) into his/her/their cart. For example, this is the cart page at my test store, after I've selected the two products (one I intend to buy and another I intend to get for free, both from the product page):
28_36-z9tn1-7qz9p

Notice the variants can be different. My first product is in silver and the second product is in green. Once the customer reaches the checkout page, he/she/they can then enter the discount code you've generated (the code you've generated at Shopify admin).

28_40-x7esy-u8ftr

After the discount code is entered by the customer, the checkout page will look like this.

28_42-n1pq0-tnxjp

As you observe this workflow, the discount isn't automatically applied when the customer reaches the checkout page. Rather, it requires the customer to pick up the promotional product first at the product page (in your case, another pair of sunglasses) and enter the discount code you've made at the checkout page. The discount code, if made, doesn't need any time to roll out through the system. Once you've made the code and saved it, it affects the store right away. Just in case if you'd like to have a reference document, here's Discount codes FAQ.

If this isn't clear to you, feel free to provide me with your store URL. I'd be happy to make a personalized video for you to show you the customer's journey. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Best,
Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

View solution in original post

Replies 64 (64)

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

There are three ways to resolve this issue for you. It's a fantastic business idea that you want to offer the customers Buy 2 Get 1 free. Here are the ways you can achieve this.

The first way is to use the Discounts function right from your Shopify admin. Shopify offers both Codes and Automatic. From what I gathered, you want to give away the discount codes for a single purchase only. The steps below are creating the discount from Codes section (so you can generate the giveaway codes for your customers)

1. Shopify admin > Discounts > Codes 04_18-jvpuh-fcehj
  2. In the Discount code section, create the code name. In the Options section, select Buy X Get Y04_25-a4gb4-0p4dz

3. In the Customer buys section, type in 2 and select Specific collections. In the Customer gets section, type in 1 and select Specific collections and Free at At a Discounted Value 

04_26-gx6zb-sayr1
  4. Again, in the Customer buys section, click on Browse. A popup window shows all the collections available. Select the collections where the products you want to be included in the promotion. If it's the whole store, select all the collections. Once done, click on Add 04_29-twzvj-s0wdv

04_30-jghps-d0sg3

5. Repeat the same steps for the Customer gets section

6. In the Customer eligibility section, assuming you want to make it available to everyone, so select Everyone. In the Usage limits section, select Limit to one use per customer04_34-vibfk-42e63
  7. You can adjust the rules to tailor what you need accordingly. Once finished, don't forget to click on Save at the top right corner 04_37-l0kay-q1prq
    The cheapest product is automatically the free one by default so you don't need to worry about setting this up. For more information, feel free to check out Create a Buy X Get Y discount.

The second way is through the apps such as Discount Ninja and Discounted Upsells ‑ Upsell, where the app can set up advanced discounted rules.

The third way is exactly what you've been doing, contacting the Shopify experts and consulting how they can build a customized feature just for you.

I hope that information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out! 

All the best,

Jason

AltugTheTeesion
Visitor
2 0 2

You saved my life!

Really thank you.

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, there!

No problem at all. I'm so glad that the solution works out for you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out in this thread or in the forum!

Best,

Jason

johannna
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, does this work on Shopify POS also? Or only in webshop?

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @johannna!

Great question. The discount codes you created from Shopify admin can be applied on POS as well. The POS user simply needs to put the discount code at the checkout page and the promotion will be implemented. Just in case you'd like a more detailed guide, here's how to offer discounts and setting sale prices.

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out!

Best,
Jason

EurbanPanda
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Jason, Im just getting my store up and going and want to add the buy x get y promo. Very simple and the way shopify has the discount setup is really easy to setup which is awesome. But I have two problems. The first is when I ran thru my store to make sure everything was working properly before I published, the discount doesnt seem to be working. My customer is still being charged for both products instead of just the one. I have it setup to go automatically, without a discount code. Unless Im incorrect Im assuming the discount should kick in automatically without the customer having to add a code of any sort. Not sure what Im doing wrong or if maybe Im just checking my site too quickly, and I need to give it time for the new discount to roll through the system (if that makes sense). And my second issue is variants. My discount is buy one pair of aviators, get a second pair free. I have four variants of colors the customer can chose from. I chose the variants when setting up the discount so the customer can select whichever color they want for the purchase and the freebe but there isnt a new variant box popping up when they select 2 items in the quantity box. I even tried going thru the site to see if maybe they select there color at checkout, but none of it is working. PLEASE HELP!! 

Stacey 

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, Stacey (@EurbanPanda)!

Thanks for reaching out! To answer your question, let's go over the general idea of the discount code from Shopify.

The discount code requires the customer to put both products (one purchased and one free add-on) into his/her/their cart. For example, this is the cart page at my test store, after I've selected the two products (one I intend to buy and another I intend to get for free, both from the product page):
28_36-z9tn1-7qz9p

Notice the variants can be different. My first product is in silver and the second product is in green. Once the customer reaches the checkout page, he/she/they can then enter the discount code you've generated (the code you've generated at Shopify admin).

28_40-x7esy-u8ftr

After the discount code is entered by the customer, the checkout page will look like this.

28_42-n1pq0-tnxjp

As you observe this workflow, the discount isn't automatically applied when the customer reaches the checkout page. Rather, it requires the customer to pick up the promotional product first at the product page (in your case, another pair of sunglasses) and enter the discount code you've made at the checkout page. The discount code, if made, doesn't need any time to roll out through the system. Once you've made the code and saved it, it affects the store right away. Just in case if you'd like to have a reference document, here's Discount codes FAQ.

If this isn't clear to you, feel free to provide me with your store URL. I'd be happy to make a personalized video for you to show you the customer's journey. Let me know if you run into any issues!

Best,
Jason

EurbanPanda
Tourist
5 0 1

Your answer helped a lot, but there are a few things that are not working for me. I'm using the jumpstart theme (preview at: https://zzt3arhcq293w4qd-9883385934.shopifypreview.com ) and am using it as a one product store. I only have one quantity box and variant selector drop down on my home page. I've tried going thru the whole template, choosing 2 pairs of sunglasses to fulfill the buy x get y discount campaign but when I get to my cart screen it displays the product in a group. So it shows the picture of the color I chose, the name or color, price, and how many I chose.

Know where do i have two separate variant drop downs to select different colors for the buy one get one discount campaign like you displayed in your example. The customer has no choice but to get two of the same color. I have no idea where I'm going wrong and not sure if its the jumpstart theme layout causing the problem, or I'm seriously missing what Im supposed to be doing.

The other issue I'm having has to do with my product page and picture layout and something I must be screwing up there. 

When I load my product page w the pictures in the order I want to show them, it doesnt come out as it should in my product page theme. The main picture for my featured product should be the image of the guy with aviators on and it looks like hes holding a backpack or something over his shoulder. This main picture i chose for my product page ALWAYS shows up as the second picture in my feature product template page. I tried reorganizing the pictures thinking it was a glitch and nothing helped. I then realized that if I removed the picture associated with my first variant and left it blank, that resolved the problem and my product page has all the variants in their proper order. Not sure how that worked out but it did. If you could assist with that as well that would be GREAT but my main concern is the one listed above.  Thank you again Jason, let me know if theres anything else you may need!

EurbanPanda
Tourist
5 0 1

This is a screen shot of what Im trying to explain, about not having the proper variation drop downs like you displayed in your description  

shopify help 2.PNG

Was also curious about the discount itself. Are you able to use the buy x get y discount without a discount code? Can it be added for all orders automatically without the customer having to add a code at checkout or at cart? When reading the directions on how to use the discount it sounded like you have the option for a discount code or to apply it automatically, but now Im not so sure. 

EurbanPanda
Tourist
5 0 1

Oh and I think i forgot to mention the site Im attempting to fix. It's https://eurban-panda.myshopify.com/.  Give it a look if you'd like. At this point you could access my whole shopify dashboard and change around whatever is needed to get this to work properly because Im just lost at this point. 

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, Stacey (@EurbanPanda)!

Thank you for your store URL and your support. I'm glad that my answer was useful to you. Thank you so much in advance. Now let's go over the questions you mentioned.

I've noticed that your products are now priced at $0. Perhaps you've gone with a different selling strategy? That being said, here are the answers to your question.

The page to select the second product for a different variant is this page - we called it the product page. The customer has to click on Continue shopping at the cart page to go to the product page after he/she/they had selected the first product to buy. 

29_08-pw7oy-l59o8

Then he/she/they will see this page and click on the Aviator Sunglasses to go to the product page.

29_11-ukozg-s42ad

Just like the first time, the customer, then, have to select a different variant here.

29_11-tjibx-jyyw6

This is the result before heading to the checkout page.

29_03-awnfp-c09vt

Once the discount code is applied at the checkout page, one pair of the sunglasses will be free. Keep in mind that when your products are at $0, this discount code may fail to work as it is already free.

Yes, there is an automated discount code available at Shopify. It is right here at your Shopify admin.

29_23-qpiof-mjdsr

Don't forget the customer still has to go through the same purchasing flow as above to enjoy the discount. Here's a great document on how to set up an automated discount code.

If you run into any other issues or want me to clarify on any points, feel free to reach back out here. I'd be happy to go through with the flow in other forms.

Best,

Jason

EurbanPanda
Tourist
5 0 1

OMG Jason!! Thank you soooooo much!! You totally helped me out and I would have never have guessed it worked that way. This helped so much I tried liking you multiple times on my post and it wouldnt allow me 😞 so ill just find more of your posts to like because you ROCK!! Seriously, Im not the only one w this issue. I found a lot of comments about the same problem when trying to search for a solution online. Shopify should REALLY post a video on how to perform this discount w multiple variants properly. Unless they already did and i just missed it somehow. Anyway, thank you again Jason, have a great week 

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, Stacey (@EurbanPanda)!

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback. It made my day!

The discount code setup and usage can be tricky. It requires a fair bit of breaking down and it isn't as intuitive as most merchants would've liked. Now we have this post up, let's hope the merchant can locate the answer as we speak! Since you're about to launch, don't forget to check out The Essential Shopify Launch Checklist. As opening a store has so many things to attend to, by going through this checklist first, it'll ensure your launch goes as smoothly as possible.

Last but not least, when I was going through your store, I noticed that one of your section on the homepage is unfinished.

29_18-ohdp5-atcvt

Keep in mind that each section at the homepage is like a real estate. Don't waste any valuable space! You can use the space to promote your brand and engage with your visitors. You can edit this section from Shopify admin > Online Store > Themes > Customize. In the theme editor, on the left-hand side menu, click on the Footer section. Under the Content section, click into the first block and you'll be able to edit/add your promotion/brand information. Once you're done, don't forget to click Save at the top right corner. 

Wishing you a wonderful week as well and a fantastic launch! 

Cheers,

Jason 

jackla
9 0 0

Hello there, 

Me too, it shows " nzddbcbkscbk discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart" Can you check help me? my store is jacklamart.com

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @jackla!

Thanks for sharing the link to your store. I'd be happy to take a look into the issue you're facing with your discount. Can you please provide me with the discount code that needs to be entered in the checkout? I'd like to try it out here on my end.

If you can also include a screenshot of the Summary section for the discount code in question, that would be fantastic. You can see this by heading into Discounts from within your Shopify admin, then clicking the discount code. This will help me determine if there are any settings that need to be adjusted.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JAKQ0s
Tourist
5 0 25

The problem is the customer has to put the product they will be getting for free in their cart first.  No one will intuitively know to do that.  They will get the error message, get pissed off, and shop elsewhere.

MaxDesign
Shopify Expert
186 13 74

I agree with @JAKQ0s and I'm looking for a way to ease the process.

I'm pretty sure with some code there must be a way to automatically add the free product to the cart without manually adding it (manual and automatic discounts do not do that). There must be some documentation on that topic somewhere, or can someone give us guidance on where to begin to do this smartly ?

Thanks hips.

Reach out to me at admin@maxdesign.expert
Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @JAKQ0s and @MaxDesign!

Jason here from Shopify support. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Just want to let you know I've gone ahead and filed your votes to this specific feature request. The more votes this feature requests get, the more likely the development will go ahead and implement it. Thanks again for letting us know this need!

Best,

Jason

sayoon
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Really thank you. so many helpful

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @sayoon!

You're most welcome. If you run into any issues or have related questions, feel free to share them in the thread. I'd be happy to help out. 

Best,

Jason

johannna
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, thanks for your answer.

In this page there is a note saying that "Buy X get Y promotions are currently available only for selling online".

Can I test the POS function within trial?

johannna
Visitor
3 0 0

I actually already downloaded the POS app and tested this. On POS app I tried to apply the discount code at cart, but got an error notice saying "Discount code does not exist". I checked the code is valid.

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, @johannna!

Thank you for downloading the POS app and give it a try. As you've read on the document, the discount code currently only works in the online store, not POS - meaning even if you've entered the correct code, the code will fail to work at the POS app as it currently only works on your online store.

Let me know if you need more clarification or have other questions, don't hesitate to reach out here. I'd be happy to help you achieve your goal.

Best,

Jason

fifi75
Tourist
5 0 2

HI! just wondering if this Buy 2 Get 1 free will work if a customer buys multiple 'sets' of 3 for 2 in a single transaction?

For example in a single transaction it's possible people may buy 2 and get one free; 4 and get 2 free; 6 and get 3 free etc. and more.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Felicia

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, Felicia!

To clarify, are you referring to discount codes or automatic discounts? Also, how are your 'sets' structured? Are you using a bundling app or are your sets simply standalone products that can be purchased individually? How the discount works really depends on how these sets were created. 

If you're simply referring to individual products, then yes, this would be possible. In fact, I created a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" discount code to test this out here on my end and I can confirm that when I add 6 products to the cart and enter the discount code, 2 of them become free. I also created an automatic discount with the same conditions and received the same results.

I encourage you to create either a discount code or automatic discount on your end and then proceed through the checkout to test the functionality. You don't need to actually make a purchase to find out whether the discount works successfully; you should simply see the discount reflected in the checkout without moving forward through the payment stage. Keep in mind that discounts can always be disabled or edited, so there's no need to worry if you make a mistake! 

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any further questions. 

fifi75
Tourist
5 0 2

Thanks Julie! 

This is the perfect solution and works really well. So happy with Shopify as a platform thank you.

Felicia

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

So glad to hear it, Felicia! Thanks for your update. 

As you continue working on your discounts, I just wanted to pass along our blog post, "19 Ways to Use Offers, Coupons, Discounts, and Deals to Generate More Sales". There are a ton of awesome tips in there to help you use discounts to drive sales and customer loyalty, including some suggestions on how you can promote them. This blog post also contains a few examples of successful promotional campaigns to help give you some ideas for your own. I think you'll find it quite useful!

Feel free to let me know what you think. 

AndyDR1
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi,

I've the same problem, it shows "MYCODEXYZ discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart" Could you help me? my store is hydroponicsclub.myshopify.com and my code is RAPIDSTACK1

I try to use the option : spend $$ and get one gift.

Thanks

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @AndyDR1!

Thanks for sharing the link to your store and the discount code you created. I'd love to test this out here on my end, but I'll just need a bit more information before I can do so. 

First, did you create this discount code through the Discounts section in your Shopify admin, or are you using an app? Are certain products only eligible for this discount code? What's the minimum dollar amount required for this discount? 

Also, I noticed that you shared two separate codes, one being MYCODEXYZ and the other being RAPIDSTACK1. Can you please confirm which discount code is to be used? It would also be super helpful if you could share a screenshot of the discount you created within your Shopify admin. This will allow me to see how the discount was set up before testing it in the checkout here on my end. 

As a side note, if you are looking to have a product automatically added to the customers' cart as a "free gift", then I would suggest looking into an app like Sales Motivator or Free Gifts by SecomappBoth of these apps will allow you to automatically add specific products to the cart based on specific conditions, like a minimum order value. If this is what you're looking for, then I think either of these apps will be a good fit for you! 

With a bit more information, I'd also be happy to test out the discount code you created here on my end.

Looking forward to your response!

AndyDR1
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks for your answer, here I leave the printscreen of my discounts, I have tried 2 methods and none works. the first is the code RAPIDSTACK1 and the other is an automatic discount (gift).
Thanks for the proposal of the applications, but for the moment I would like to use the functionalities that shopify offers me before purchasing a new application. I would appreciate very much if you can help me.

AndyDR1_2-1600916193768.png

AndyDR1_1-1600916001862.png

AndyDR1_0-1600915600719.png

Regards,

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Thanks for the screenshots! I'd love to dive in and see what's going on here, but unfortunately I'm not able to see the details of these discounts. Not to worry, though! Let's just gather a bit more information. 

Based on the last screenshot you shared, it looks like the products you added to your cart may have not been the same products associated with this particular discount code. If you click the RAPIDSTACK1 discount code (shown in the first screenshot you shared), you'll be able to see the details of this discount, including the products that this discount can be applied towards. Feel free to share a screenshot of that page or simply let me know which products are specified there. 

It would also be helpful if you could do the same for the automatic discount; I tried adding three different products to the cart and it looks like the price on two of the items didn't change, which indicates that I may have added the wrong products. If you can let me know which products or collections both of these discounts can be applied to, that would be great. 

I should also mention that the Community Forums are not a live support channel, so if you need immediate assistance, it would be a good idea to reach out to our Support team via live chat here. I'm happy to continue helping here, but if this is something you'd like resolved urgently, this would definitely be the way to go. 

Hope to hear from you soon!

AndyDR1
Visitor
3 0 0

Thanks Julie,

Could see my last message. 

Regards,

Cherrell_Leong
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I am experiencing problems as the system gives the item with the highest value for free. I have customers coming in buying the cheapest items and getting most expensive item for free. Please help!!! 

buy2free1(1).png

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @Cherrell_Leong!

Jason here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out. Your store is beautiful.

There are a few questions come to mind upon seeing your screenshot. Is this issue happening on all the discount codes you've created or only one specific code? Could you clarify on which discount code you were using on this order, please? I tried to replicate this order but without any discount code, I can't really tell what's going on.
18_55-5y6x9-44jve
Since this does involve information that you may not want to share in public, I've reached out to you directly at ticket #14637609. Kindly reply to the email with the answers to the questions. This way, I not only can authenticate you to ensure your security and privacy but also start the troubleshooting process right away. 

Alternatively, if you'd like to continue here on this thread, feel free to let me know the discount code in question. I can test it out and potentially provide some pointers. After our test, you can update the code to another name to avoid others from abusing it. Either way, I'd be happy to help.

Best,

Jason

Dropp2019
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi! How can i do this but giving the customer the option to choose different types or different color options of the same product? So i can make the offer much more tempting.

Right now i can sell in quantity but all are the same option. 

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @Dropp2019!

Congratulations on selling the products in bulk! 

Yes, you can utilize the Buy X Get Y free discount code to set up specific variants at the Y and make your offers much more tempting to your customers. You can follow the Solution post in this thread to create the code. The layout of the admin had changed since the post but the concept remains the same. When you click on the Discounts section, you can select either the Discount codes or Automatic discounts.
18_29-ag5nd-x3ghc
Once you've selected the type of discount code you want to create, you can click on Create discount at the top right corner. 
18_59-r4lij-4thyv
Then, proceed to create a Buy X Get Y discount. Your screen will look something like this once you get to the Customer gets section. Upon selecting the "Specific products", you can select the variants you'd like to include with your free offer. 
18_07-18wis-n7cr8
After you finished with the setup, don't forget to click on Save at the top right corner and test the discount code out with a test order. If you run into any issues, or if I misunderstood what you're hoping to set up, feel free to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

Best,
Jason

ARichter
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi!

I set this up for a product that is in pre-order and the free product doesn't appear in the cart or checkout. Is that because it's a pre-order? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Steve_Coulton
Tourist
10 0 32

That's because they have YET to fix something as obvious necessary as this.

It's enough to have to fight to get things to function like other e-commerce sites, requiring customers to SELECT the GET ONE FREE is absolutely non-sensical.

I can picture 10 people in the room that thought this was a super awesome new feature, they even blasted out Press Releases for the new functionality.

But then, EVERYONE in the room?? When trying this, didn't notice when you Buy X, nothing Happens??? Y isn't Added? WHAT????? Where is the FREE???

Oh, let's make the customers click the something else (FREE) and then add it to the cart to MAGICALLY discover it's FREE!

Holy Developer Screwup Madness.

For Heaven's Sake there are 1000+ forums and posts about this. Maybe they could do a simple Google Search and discover how crazy weird this actually is and fix it.

Thus, our journey to move away from Shopify begins.

Unless you're a mom and pop shop selling t-shirts with a size variant, there aren't enough obvious features to compare.

E-commerce (especially Mobile) is moving way more quickly then Shopify dev. 

B1 G1 Free doesn't even work.

FACT.

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @ARichter and @Steve_Coulton!

The buy X get Y discount requires the customers to add all the eligible products to their carts before they move to checkout. This includes the product they get as part of the promotion. Since this may not be intuitive to all the customers, here are 3 workarounds available to help you reduce the bounce rate and confusion.

1. Add a promotional statement at the announcement bar or at the product page with clear instructions.
  2. Hire Shopify Experts. One of the developers can help you with custom coding to create this feature with a contracted fee.
  3. Use third-party apps, such as Bold Discount and Ultimate Special Offers, to bypass this discount feature. Feel free to try the apps out and remove the ones you don't want to keep before the trial period ends to avoid app charges. 

As @Steve_Coulton mentioned, this is a pain point for many merchants. I understand the frustration and agree this feature isn't intuitive enough. The request already exists and I'd be happy to help both of you upvote on this topic. Thank you so much again for your valuable feedback.

Best,

Jason

LumberjackBeard
Tourist
9 1 2

Hi Jason,

Hoping you can offer some advice or clarification at least. I've set up a Buy X Get Y discount code and linked it to automatically generate should the conditions be met... my question is would it be possible to limit the number of products the customer would get free?

For instance, the automatic discount set up is "Buy 2 Get 1 Free"... is there a way to limit this to ONLY allow 1 free item even if the customer goes on to place 6 items in their cart? At the moment, if a customer places 6 qualifying items in the cart, it gives them 2 free and charges them for 4 only... quite rightly as per the current conditions.

My issue is when it comes to international buyers. As this amount would qualify them for free shipping through my website, I'd end up losing money as the weight of the shipment, and the shipping fees, got larger... so if they placed 6 in their cart and only ended up paying for 4 (instead of say 5 and only getting 1 free), I'd end up losing money instead of making a profit.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Mark

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, Mark (@LumberjackBeard)!

I love the fact that you've tested the discount code out yourself and realize the feature has a loophole. Your question not only makes sense, but it's also a true testament of great entrepreneurship. 

You're correct. The system isn't smart enough only allow 1 free item even if the customers go on to place 6 items in their cart. There are two ways to look at this issue and tackle it. 

First, based on your name, I'm assuming you're selling beard care products. If so, why limit yourself to Buy 2 Get 1 Free? I recommend going bolder and set up Buy 5 Get 1 Free, especially when the Black Friday/Cyber Monday (BFCM) is just around the corner. The key here is to find out what kind of promotion that can entice the new customers while making sure you have a healthy gain in the profit margin. Another assumption that I have is that your beard care products come in different scents. By increase the purchasing limit, it allows your customers to test out each scent with a bonus product when they shop. To me, from a customer's point of view, I'll be tempted to buy them all just to see which scent I like the most. These two assumptions are based on the last assumption that the products don't expire in a certain period of time. My scope of knowledge is limited to the shelf lives of beard care products. If they don't have a firm short shelf life, this method not only resolves our API's limitations, but it also helps to boost up your sales without you having to worry about losing money for the international orders.

Second, if the first suggestion seems too bold for your business, the next best option is to source out apps that can help us create discounts or bundles that work for your promotion. If you want to create a more advanced discount rule, such as the one you've mentioned, come check out Discount Ninja. Another way to look at this is to create bundles at a discounted price for your customers. Apps, such as Bundles, Bundle Products, and Bundler - Product Bundles, can help you set up bundles with promotions to attract customers. Feel free to try the apps out and remove the ones that you don't want to keep before the trial period ends to avoid app charges.

Third, if the apps aren't achieving your goal, you can consult with Shopify Experts. One of the developers can create specific customizations you need at the store with a contracted fee so the discount rates work better for your business. 

These are the three options available to help us bypass this limitation. Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help.

Best,
Jason

LumberjackBeard
Tourist
9 1 2
Thank you Jason,

Some very solid suggestions there. I already offer bundles as stand-alone products (not using any of the bundle apps) but only offer one scent combo per bundle. This discount was to enable people to mix and match outside of that. I found a work-around in the end that meets my needs though.

I've opted to go with a standard $ off discount code (at the amount of my products... helps that they're all the same cost), set to apply once an order reaches a specific amount. I've embedded this code in the checkout page code so it automatically applies if the minimum amount conditions are met. I've also set the maximum number of uses of the code per purchase to 1 so it gets around the issue of customers potentially getting more than one free item per order.

Thank you so much for your time. I had taken serious consideration to your suggestion to up my offer to buy 4 or 5, get 1 free, but in the end opted against it as I'd rather give people a price break earlier as we're already in the higher cost side of our market.

Thanks again,
Mark
Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hi, Mark (@LumberjackBeard)!

You're most welcome. I'm glad that you found my suggestions useful and you were able to come up with a brilliant workaround by editing the code at the checkout page. By comparison, I'd say your workaround is the best. I love your approach and the reasoning behind this decision. You not only think about your customers, but you also demonstrate that you've done enough market research to know where your product price stands.

Just in case if you're gearing up for the upcoming BFCM, come check out this informational guide. I'm rooting for you to have fantastic sales!

All the best,

Jason

Steve_Coulton
Tourist
10 0 32
Is this fixed yet? I see a lot of disappointed and upset customers that we can't have a true buy one get one free for the holiday.

A customer adds X to cart, and an additional X is added to the cart free.

If they add 2, 2 are added free.

As it stands now, Shopify is requiring the customer adds the free X to the cart manually, with no issues, hassle or questions.

I'd like to join the masses and continue to request the existing "select a free gift" functionality (not to be confused with an auto BOGO) be added ASAP.

Possible?

And no, because of the limits in the system, the existing apps in the Shopify store do not accomplish an Auto buy X, X appears in cart free.

Pretty frustrating. It's hard to imagine developers testing the new functionality, adding something to cart and then not noticing that nothing actually happens... ?

Please advise ASAP...

Shopify Customers
Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @Steve_Coulton!

Thank you for your feedback again. As promised, I've already forwarded your request to our development team last time. Just as how I had explained before, at the general support level, this is what we can do. The team is aware that there's a group of merchants wanting this feature to get fixed. That being said, there's no promise in the timeline when the feature will be updated. 

If there are more merchants who'd like this feature to be updated, kindly leave your .myshopify.com URL and a line indicating that you'd like to upvote this feature. The more votes we get, the more likely the team will start work on it. To reduce the thread's length and avoid repetitive responses, I may not reply to every single request post. Instead, I will mark "Like" on the post, so you know your request has been submitted already.

I'm actively monitoring this thread and I promise to forward every single one of your requests up to our development team. Thank you for the valuable feedback. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated!

Best,

Jason

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hello, everyone!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Jason is unable to follow this thread any longer, so I will be stepping in to assist. As Jason mentioned, we are forwarding every request to our development team. Simply respond here with your myshopify.com URL and a line indicating that you'd like to upvote this feature you need. If your response was marked with a "Like", then your request has been forwarded. 

I'm now actively monitoring this thread and I will be submitting every single one of your requests up to our developers. Thank you again for the valuable feedback!

bloodyrosebtq
Excursionist
32 1 24

bloodyroseboutique.myshopify.com

upvote

+++++++++
Bloody Rose Boutique
Austin, TX
BioBunnies
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi @Allan , 

Thank you so much for the workarounds that you have presented. Let´s see if this works for us! 

You mentioned that there is a feature request that has been submitted for this to be implemented? Where can I vote for it and what is the status for a possible implementation? 

Best, 

B B

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @BioBunnies!

Julie here from Shopify Support; I'm just stepping in for Jason. 

I appreciate your interest in having products automatically added to the cart with BOGO-type discounts and I can definitely see how this would be a great feature to have. We do have a system in place for sending feature requests to our developers, and I've just added your name to the list. While I don't have an answer as to if or when this will be implemented, I can say that the more feedback we get, the more attention we can bring to requests like this. I suggest keeping an eye on our changelog in the meantime, as we regularly announce platform updates there. 

By the way, did you get a chance to take advantage of any of those workarounds? I'm curious to know how that went!