Buy X Get Y

1 0 2

Hello,

I noticed that shopify release a new promo code type "Buy X Get Y". 

We'd like to offer a product everytime a customer buys a specific product but the promo code doesn't seem to work, only if he add the specific product to its basket. Is there a way for customer to get the free product just by adding the promo code, instead of first adding the product and then the prromo code ?

Thanks for your help !

2 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
510 0 45

Hey Thibault, 

I'm Ann, from the team here at Shopify :)

You're right! At this time our new discount feature will only work when both items are in the cart, and the discount code is then inputted. There currently is no way around that, however, I can definitely see how this would be a valuable addition to this feature. In this case, I will pass this along as feedback to our developers and maybe this will be something they add to our discount tool in the future. 

In the meantime, I did take a quick look in our App Store, and I was able to track down some apps that might help here. Take a look at the following: 

It looks like both of those apps will let you assign free gifts to orders, so your customer won't have to do that work themselves. That said, these apps were made by third party companies, so if you had any questions, or wanted to find out more about how they worked, your best bet will be to reach out to the app developers directly. Their contact information can be found on the app's page. 

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to reach out to us on this thread :) 

Have a great one,
Ann

Ann | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
30 0 3

Hey Thibault. 

This might also help, another options to do it as a free product in a bundle. So then it will show the free product right on the product page and the customer can click "Add Bundle" and it will add the main item, PLUS the free one. Here's how you do that  

This is what it could look like. It could be the same product getting added for free, or a different product. 

Co-Founder of Bold Commerce, and eCommerce store owner since 1998!
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 4

It has been over a year and you still haven't fixed it.  Not one customer will know they have to add the gift to their cart in order to receive it.  This is ridiculous.  Why not buy x, get y instead of buy x, buy y, enter code, get y?  Stupido.

2 Likes
2 0 0
Hi, I will to offer free gift to customer, but I would like to have a discount for the customer to enter, any one have a solution? It’s getting frustrated with this issue, shopify is not helping
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

it would be great if you created a code that automatically adds to the cart the products the customer receives for free if they buy the X product.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 4

Yes, that would be great, but Shopify and no other 3rd party app offers that.  Requiring the customer to place the free  item in their cart first is confusing and adds huge friction to the buying process.  

1 Like