How to sell products by weight and adjust pricing accordingly?

NiallS
Visitor
2 0 2
Hi

We are looking to sell by weight but a customer will pick for example 1kg but when we select the object it might be +\- this amount and we will need to adjust because will change price.
Anyone know how I might Handel this or app that can?
Replies 67 (67)
mmyburgh
Tourist
5 0 4

How difficult is it to just add the ability to enter a fraction of a product? Anyone that sells produce has this problem. I sell meat and often get the request to buy $50 of ground beef. Why should i buy an app. This should be part of the product. it's a simple calculation????? 

Is there any plans shopify to add this? 

Menny
Shopify Partner
13 0 3

Hey there, Any update on this?

Mtattu
Visitor
2 0 7

Hi, I am going through the same dilema. I did download unitpricer and it does adjust the price per weight but it does not update the inventory which is a huge problem. We can’t go back to the Shopify POS to update the inventory Every time there is a sale. We have three shops and that would give employees access to the admin which could compromise the stock.
I also agree that such feature should be embedded into the Shopify POS as there are millions of fresh produce retailers and could guarantee a market for the developers. As is the system is narrow minded.

CarolinaLutyens
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I have a similar problem and I'd like your recommendation

Setting up a store to sell Fresh Meat per pound at $X per pound.

The problem is that these cuts weight sometimes 4Lbs, sometimes 3.25 Lbs .

Let's say I get a 4 Lbs Flank steak order, my flank pieces will not be exactly 4 lbs. How do I manage this .

How do you charge an approx weight of 4 Lbs and the adjust for the actual weight of the cut.

Please advice. 

Tomas_K
Shopify Partner
18 4 13

The problem is that once the purchase is done, you can't modify it. You would've have to either refund the some money or charge some more. Or you can use apps I mentioned above, where you can (supposedly) edit the order and modify it's price quantity etc. Behind the scenes you're not really editing tho. The app cancels the initial order and makes a new one.

Did I help in any way? Consider a ? and/or ✔️
Contact me ✉️ nosheep6@gmail.com
Buy me a coffee Paypal link
JustinW2
Tourist
3 0 3

Here is the issue with unitpricer. We sell apples by the lb. Apples do not require sales tax in our state so we have set up the item to reflect that in Shopify. Unfortunately, when you use unitpricer it automatically adds the tax. Since there isn't a scale that integrates as of yet below is the process we have to follow to put in one item in the register for pound apples at our store...

I am referring to the POS application...I'm not sure how any of this would work with online transactions.

Weigh item on scale

Enter price per pound so the scale will give us the dollar amount to charge the customer

Select the item in Shopify

Select unitpricer app

Adjust price in unitpricer

Go back to that item to take off the sale tax

It would seem logical for Shopify to create an item that doesn't have a predetermined price. Let the app prompt the employee for the price after they select that item/tile. Or, if we were even allowed to adjust the price of an item after it was in the order on the POS that would be adequate as well. If there was a preset price but it could be modified easily that would work. I realize this is a new release but this seems like a pretty big oversight for those customers using the POS.

BYGino
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread here but I use a work-around in the POS app that's a bit clunky but has worked for me for a couple of years. Today however, I received an email from Shopify to say that the feature that I use for the work-around is being removed from the App on 18th September - happy birthday to me I guess!

What I do currently is price all of the items that are sold by weight (meat, fruit & veg, fish etc) at a price that is unlikely to be reached by a single customer (i.e. £999) then use the price override feature in the POS app to input the correct price (due to a limitation of the app to be able to override the price upwards). OK so this messed up a lot of metrics such as discounts etc but at least it allowed me to sell by weight. Unfortunately this is a good chunk of the sales in my bricks & mortar store and now with this feature being removed I either have to worsen my customer experience even further and create even more room for error at the till by adding an extra calculation to discount by an amount rather than just entering a figure read from the scales or I have to purchase yet another third party modification to what should quite frankly be core functionality.

I genuinely hope that Shopify developers have thought about the impact removing a feature has on your customers. Having been a software developer / development team manager for 30 years, I don't think this is unreasonable question to ask your teams. I honestly would never have let any of my development teams make a decision like this without first gathering some data from customers and I am now seriously considering a shift to another platform. Don't get me wrong I like the product and there have been some great improvements recently but constantly finding work-around to do basic functions while the development teams go off working on the next "shiny thing" is frustrating.

Would anyone form support like to comment?

DaisyOaks
Tourist
15 0 1
There is a sell by weight app you can get that works very well for us. It
is called Sell Products By Weight- Filljoy.co.

Give it a try and good luck!
angiemillin
Visitor
2 0 1
Does this work in the online store not the POS app?

DaisyOaks
Tourist
15 0 1
It works for us in the POS app. It does not work with the online store.
BYGino
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Thanks for that - I'm aware of this App but we are a very small rural community store in Orkney with an extremely small footfall so costs are important to us. I decided on Shopify because it let me keep costs low but I've found to do some fairly basic things I've already had to install several third party apps which all come with a monthly subscription. This means that the thing eating into my profits most at the minute is a combination of Shopify and all of the the third party apps.

As I said above, I have been in software development for most of my life so I've just made the decision to move everything over to Magento Community Edition which I have plenty of experience with -  that way I can get all the features I need and my costs will be much lower.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

DaisyOaks
Tourist
15 0 1
We are very similar in regards to size and budget. With all sincerity, this app saved us money due to being able to charge by weight down to the 1/100th of weight. The support team is fantastic and quick to help when needed. Well worth the monthly nominal fee. I am not part of or have any interest in the app company. I am a customer that has nothing but good things to say about the product.
BYGino
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

I appreciate that and if it was only the one app I needed I wouldn't have any concerns about spending the monthly fee. Unfortunately though, we already pay for several apps and the combined costs is way more than the monthly fees for other systems that have all of the features out of the box. 

DaisyOaks
Tourist
15 0 1
We totally understand what you mean

policenauts
Shopify Partner
206 10 67

Hi everyone, our app that enables editing Sell by Weight orders is now available to beta test in the Shopify App Store: https://apps.shopify.com/edit-sell-by-weight-orders

We've recorded a short demo video that provides an overview of how the app works: https://www.loom.com/share/84ae39e7e3834146845e077f3c907517?sid=2833fc74-2022-400b-8c61-5e519b96c086

For a limited time we're offering merchants a 60 day free trial of our app in exchange for your help in testing the app and providing helpful product feedback as we finalize its functionality. We look forward to serving you! 

BYGino
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Happy to be a beta tester for you, I've already connected to the 60 day free trial but I'm not sure if this works with POS - just going to play around with it for a bit now.

AttilaB
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey there,

I am also one of those folks trying to figure out how to sell products by weight.

E.g. I sell vacuum packed sausages. All of them have a different weight (between let's say 230 and 320 grams). I only sell through my onlike store (no POS).

I understand from your video tutorial that I can edit / update and order..... but how do I refund a customer who paid online by card? Will this app automatically refund the customer, i.e. send back certain amount of money to their bank car? Or charge them if let's say they paid a bit less?

Cheers,

Attila

uniquefinds
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Atila,

What many stores like this do with Shopify is they set their card payment settings to "manual capture." This means that when the customer places the order it will authorize the amount, and after you edit the order with our app, you can then "capture" the payment for the exact amount. So long as the final amount is under the authorized amount, they should only see a single charge (vs. a charge and a refund).

If the weight is over the estimated amount and they paid a bit less, you can then send an invoice for any outstanding amount. Hopefully this helps!