Can't edit order and cannot add discount based on payment method...

Solved
3 0 0

I'm reading everywhere that an order cannot be edited and that a discount can't be added based on payment method.

Both of these things are creating the need for a 3rd party app for me - so are there any recommendations for the most efficient app to allow the editing of an order?   

To be specific, an alternate offline payment method is being offered and therefore no money is transacted online.  We want to offer a discount for using this method, but it can't be done before-hand and it can't be done after.   (Unless there's some way to prevent a discount from being added on a particular payment method.)

Any ideas would be very helpful - thank you!

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
8 1 1

Hello, @dlr22.

Elias here from Shopify Support.

You are correct in that you would not be able to set discounts based on payment methods, but you are able to edit orders using the following third-party apps:

Shopify is also currently working on a feature for editing orders, which is currently in beta. Once this is fully available to all merchants, you’ll be able to edit orders without a third-party app. For more information on this, please take a look at ‘Editing orders’.

You mentioned using an offline payment. I am curious how editing orders applies if no money is being transacted. This may be a useful feature that I can share with our developers as a feature request. Before I do that, would you be able to share further details? 

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
3 0 0

Yes, I've since added the Edit Order app by Cleverific. 

Even though all money is handled offline, it still affects reports, invoices, etc. The edited order confirmation re-sent to the customer has to reflect the correct amount. For this offline method (wire transfer), a discount has to be added after the order is placed. In addition, each order prior to being paid is subject to information from the customer that may alter the bottom line of the invoice - adding additional product, negotiation of cost, etc. The order is fluid until it's finalized with the customer. It is certainly not a usual store setup, but being able to edit should still be an available option - it's good to know this feature is being implemented.  :)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
8 1 1

Thank you for sharing the details of your setup. I will pass this information along to our developers so your setup can be taken into consideration. Our developers appreciate this feedback and are always trying to implement the most requested features each year!

It sounds like our ‘Edit Order’ feature, once available, will be able to eliminate the need for a third-party app, in your case. Please check our help guide again at a later time, we will update the page once we move out of the beta phase. You can also check our ‘Announcement page’ or our ‘changelogs’ as well!

How are you finding the Edit Order by Cleverific?

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 0

Haven't used it except in testing. In most if not all of the edit order apps, it works by saving as and creating an amended order. This requires bits of work on the backend because it affects reports and counts funds as received even though the original order is canceled. There was one app that edited the original order, but it did not have great reviews and made a few messes along the way, I guess.

Hopefully, when your beta feature comes out, it will allow editing of the original order instead of creating a new one - either that or it won't create havoc with finances. :)

0 Likes