Can't install app on managed store - Most basic, simple problem ever

Highlighted
Tourist
11 1 12

I can't believe I actually have to go to the forums to solve this issue, but here it goes.

I manage a number of Shopify sites for clients, and am trying to install a new app on a site to which I have full access. When I go to install the app, the app store asks me to pick a site to install the app. It lists recently accessed stores, neither of which are the store that I want to access (even though I am currently logged into the store and the "recently" accessed stores haven't been accessed in over a week. The only other option is to select a different store, where you enter your store URL and are then taken to a login screen. Here's the problem - collaborators do not have a unique login for each store. We log in through developers.shopify.com, and then select the store we want to access from the developers "sites" page.

I have tried the following:

1. Logging in at the app install screen using my developers login
  2. Clearing my cookies/cache and retrying
  3. Using a different browser
  4. Logging out of everything and trying again
  5. Browsing the internet for an answer to this impossibly straightforward problem

I've been working some late nights, hopefully this is just one of those funny facepalming answers where I just wonder how I possibly could have gotten tripped up by such a basic problem....lol

Thanks in advance!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 151

Hey, there!

Dallas here from the Shopify Social Care Team, I would love to see what I can do to help you out with this today.

Most likely for this, I am going to need to move this conversation to email so that I can fully verify your store and take a full deep dive to see what might be going on.

In the meantime, however, I want to ask a few more questions that might help me to narrow down where the issue lies which would help to figure out the best next steps for this. because you're right, this is an odd situation.

• Have you tried adding other apps to this store? Is it just that app that won't attach to the store or is it the store, in general, that won't allow apps to be added to it?
  • May I ask for the store URL that is causing some issues?
  • You have tried another browser, but have you tried another device entirely?

You're right this is an odd situation, but not to worry, I will do my best to help you find a solution!

I look forward to some further information in order to help you further.

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 352

This is a common problem for shopify partners that crops up in several areas.

Whats worse is quite often the aggressive redirects to login mangle browsers back button history so once you do resolve the auth you've lost your work process.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 1 12

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for your response!

• Have you tried adding other apps to this store? Is it just that app that won't attach to the store or is it the store, in general, that won't allow apps to be added to it? I just tested the Pinterest app and that one took me to a permissions screen without asking me to log in again or pick a store, so that looked like it worked. Then I tried the Instagram Channel app (managed by Shopify) and it took me to the "Recently accessed stores" screen.
  • May I ask for the store URL that is causing some issues? Mountaingazette.com (if you need the Shopify URL, let's move to email for the remainder of the conversation)
  • You have tried another browser, but have you tried another device entirely? Yes, I just tested on my phone and got the same result.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 151

Thank you for letting me know all of this. 

I think the best thing will be to move to email so that I can try and gather some more information from you. I have gone ahead to send you an email with the steps to move towards verification. 

If you don't see that email in your inbox or your spam folder please let me know. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

Not exactly the same problem here, but related and equally frustrating.

I manage a store for a client and need to install a couple of paid apps. I transferred ownership to the client to be able to install those apps. And Shopify still doesn't let me install the apps, even though I have full access.

Once I try to open the app settings I get the following error message:

Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 11.28.39.png

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 151

Thank you so much for this screenshot!

When it comes to paid apps more often than not the apps need to actually be downloaded by the store owner. To be honest I'm not entirely sure the reason for this other than downloading an app does affect billing which is a store feature that only the store owner has access to. 

In that case, you'd want to reach out to your client to get them to download the app, and then you can take it from there in regards to working with the app.

I hope this helps to answer your question, but if you need any more assistance please don't hesitate to let me know. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

Hey @Dallas 

Yes, I was afraid that would be the case. I wish my client could give me permission to install paid apps as well. The store is not finished until everything is working and it's less than ideal to depend on the client to finish a project I've been hired to make.

But, thank you for clarifying!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
911 60 151

I completely understand your frustration with this. It was my pleasure to help clarify for you. 

If you ever have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to ask. I would be happy to do all I can to assist you. 

0 Likes