Can you create price plans for your Shopify app?

Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi,

We're looking to release our application to the Shopify app store in the coming weeks.

I am wondering if it's possible to have a two price plan option for customers. One $35 a month, one $297 a year?

Thanks

James

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1227 5 80

No. Unfortunately it is not possible to create a Recurring App charge for 1 year (I've asked a few times but I never get a response). Only '30 days' is available. Docs here: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/billing/recurringapplicationcharge

If you do create a recurring yearly payment then I think it should be Ok to go outside of Shopify (since they aren't taking care of the billing) however that is not allowed. Your only recourse is to create a one time charge and take care of asking the customer to pay again at the due date. Of course that is putting the onus back on you as the developer to manage the intrincacies - pausing payment, expired cards, retries etc.

HTH, Gavin.

www.bookthatapp.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3266 245 560

Hi James, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Just to follow up and confirm what Gavin is saying. The only ways to accept payment currently when charging for an app in the app store is a recurring monthly payment or a once off payment. I will take this feedback back to the partner team to look into for further consideration on your behalf though. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hey Gavin and Nick,

Thanks for your responses, it really helps!

@Nick, if that could be passed onto the right party that would be great as I feel it could be a huge benefit for a lot of app owners like myself.

Thanks

James

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3266 245 560

I will definitely do that James. Thank you again for letting us know. Feedback like this is hugely beneficial to our team to let us know what developers like yourself are looking for moving forward. 

Cheers, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes