Solved

Cannot Upload .csv Files using Store Importer

archer223
Tourist
16 0 3

I am trying in upload customer data in csv format from squarespace to shopify using store importer app as stated the link below:-

Migrating from Squarespace to Shopify · Shopify Help Center

However I keep getting error message

The following file(s) could not be added:

• Shopify.csv couldn’t be uploaded because it is not a recognized file. Ensure you’ve chosen the correct file or learn more about which files can be uploaded.

I do not know what is going on 

Accepted Solution (1)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

In Excel try saving the file as CSV UTF-8 not the standard CSV format. Then test again in Shopify.

Another way people fix file format issues is by saving it in Google Sheets and then exporting it to csv format.

Regards

Tom

View solution in original post

Replies 11 (11)

peterloane
Shopify Partner
44 5 14

Can you open the .csv file with something like Notepad++ (or even Excel)?

archer223
Tourist
16 0 3

I created the .csv in excel 

peterloane
Shopify Partner
44 5 14

If you did not export the data from Squarespace as outlined here 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/migrating-to-shopify/shopify-import/squarespace-migration#step-1-...

then it looks like you need to use the templates provided at the link, for example for Customer data 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/customers/import-export-customers#customer-csv-template to import customer data.

I recreated the error you got by creating a simple .csv file in Excel and trying to import it with Store Importer, so its looking for a particular file content format.

I then used the customer template linked above, added an extra dummy customer and it imported all three customers without issue with Store Importer.

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

In Excel try saving the file as CSV UTF-8 not the standard CSV format. Then test again in Shopify.

Another way people fix file format issues is by saving it in Google Sheets and then exporting it to csv format.

Regards

Tom

archer223
Tourist
16 0 3

Thank you so much for that. It worked

shawful
Visitor
2 0 2

I've tried both of these options-  saving in excel as CSV UTF-8 and saving from google sheets, and I'm still getting this error. Any thoughts? 😕

Skylargraceco
Visitor
1 0 1

I'm having the same issue!

mattk100
Visitor
1 0 2

I tried both the suggestions (saving as UTF-8 and exporting from google sheets) but no success. Are there any other work arounds? I tried exporting a file from Shopify and then importing the same file back in but got the same message. 

jordanbeacham
Tourist
3 0 2

I have the same issue. Even downloading the template and importing it right back in gives this error. Something is broken.

jordanbeacham
Tourist
3 0 2

This does not work. I have the same issue. Even downloading the template and importing it right back in gives this error. Something is broken.

Chuong
Visitor
1 0 0

Did you find out a workaround? This issue is driving me crazy as I am still manually entering orders in.