Cleaning customer and email list

Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi there! I recently started a Mailchimp account and used my client list from Shopify to start the email campaigns. Before importing the list to Mailchimp, I cleaned it with The Checker.

After importing, I discovered I could connect my Mailchimp account with my Shopify account through ShopSync, so I did that. Now all new clients from the store are automatically added to my Mailchimp, but I don't know if they are real emails or spams/bots.

Is there a way I can clean the list before it goes to Mailchimp or create a double opt-in when the customer is subscribing?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
225 20 46

Hi, @ClubMidnite!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I'm glad to hear that you're using ShopSync to integrate Shopify with your Mailchimp account. This app has great reviews and is really common amongst Mailchimp users like yourselves. 

Are you new to email marketing? If so, I recommend checking out our guide, "Email Marketing 101: How to Build Your List, Send Effective Campaigns, and Track Results". There are some great tips in there on how to grow and engage your email list, along with some ideas on different types of email campaigns you can run and how you can track their performance. Even if you aren't new to email marketing, I think you may find some value in it. 

When it comes to cleaning your email list, there are a few ways you can do this. First, you could export your customer list from Shopify and manually remove accounts with email addresses that seem spammy. Some of these customer accounts likely have odd or abnormal email addresses, so this would be a good indicator of a spam/bot account. Once you've cleaned up the exported list, you can import it again. 

Mailchimp also has a help doc on email list cleaning services I recommend checking out. It looks like they suggest either unsubscribing inactive subscribers or reconfirming your audience to clean up your list. The latter will allow you to send a mass email to those on your current list, prompting them to confirm that they have subscribed. This is a great way to ensure that the email list you have is accurate and up to date.

Another option is to use an app like Better Customer Emails. This app integrates directly with your customer list in Shopify and will help you clean up your email list to help you weed out any spam bots.  I definitely recommend taking a look at this app and perhaps taking advantage of their free trial. If you have any questions about it, you can always get help with third-party apps via the Support section of their app pages. 

Now, for new subscribers going forward, a double opt-in would be a great way to ensure that any spam bots aren't being added to your email list in Mailchimp. You can enable double opt-in directly through ShopSync, which has the ability to only add customers to your Mailchimp list as either as Transactional or as a Subscriber. You can learn more about this setting and how to enable it through the ShopSync app here

I think you'll find these options to pretty useful and I'm curious to know which route you take. Feel free to reply to this post directly and let me know!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes