Count Inventory with Barcode Scanner

Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 7

I need a way to count our inventory quickly and efficiently using a barcode scanner.  I don't even care if the results integrate with Shopify; I can compare the results to our Shopify stock with my eyes, if necessary.  I just need an easy way to count what we actually have so that we can ensure our online inventory is correct.  We often only have a few of each item by size and color, so we have to keep our inventory as accurate as possible. 

We also have items in a warehouse that we need to be able to count similarly.  The warehouse stock is part of our Shopify inventory, but since Shopify does not provide any way to attach a location to an item, we are forced to keep a second inventory of what is in the warehouse.

I saw in another discussion that ShipHero is recommended...We are already using a different shipping app and different returns manager, so I'd rather not switch, but will consider it if that's the only option.  It seems fancier than what we need though - I just want something that will allow me to scan barcodes, associate those barcodes with the product name, color, and size, and tell me how much of each one there is.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks a lot!

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
15 0 3

Hi Amanda,

I'm the founder of ShipHero. I'd be glad to discuss the issue you're trying to resolve and if ShipHero is the right solution. Shoot me an email at aaron@shiphero.com if you'd like to chat.

Have a good weekend.

Having trouble keeping your inventory accurate or making shipping mistakes? The problem is not the people, it's that they don't have the process and tools in place to catch and prevent those mistakes. ShipHero is the system and tool to help you.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Amanda,

I am currently having the same problem and in need of an inventory solution that provide stock taking ability with barcode scanner. Have you found any solution yet?

Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 7

Nope.  But I talked to someone from Shopify yesterday who said this is something they've been working on and she'll give me an update on status later this week.  I understand why it's difficult for them to predict exact timing, but hopefully a ballpark will help us decide if we can keep waiting or go with another app!  I'll post in this thread if/when I hear more.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Alex, Amanda,

I am looking for a similar solutions for Shopify POS. We have a small shop and so need to maintain a tight inventory. Every week we are receiving stock to replace what was just sold. Currently we add this all manually. Did you find a solution for scanning your inventory or hear any news from Shopify about developments?

Thanks

Alister

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
10 0 2

Hey Amanda,

You might want to try veeqo

Let us know what you find.

Appah

Veeqo all in one inventory, order, shipping, point of sale and purchase order management software for ecommerce merchants. Veeqo helps you sell on multiple stores and marketplaces such as Shopify, Woocommerce, Magento, Amazon and Ebay. Veeqo also integrates with USPS,UPS,Royal mail, Fedex, DPD and more to streamline your shipping.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Anything further from Shopify on this? I too am looking for a solution to the same issue. 

Thanks!

Matthew

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
22 0 7

Hi Alister,

Nothing from Shopify.  

Haven't looked into veeqo or ShipHero yet because I'm too busy mannualy counting our inventory all the time.  (That's only half a joke.)

Hope to find time to look into those solutions soon!

Amanda

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Sorry for the late reply.  I just joined the Group.  If you already "have" one I understand.

In general, pretty easy. My company does barcode inventory control for large retailers/warehouses for apparel and other multivariant products through our own portal systems.  We have looked at using QR Codes and regular UPC's through mobile smartphone scanners for several years.  Besides taking inventory, our applications do receiving, shipping, picking and some fancy stuff too.

To make a lightweight, focused system we think you would need three things:

1) A list of barcodes and product descriptions (spreadsheet is cool, or CSV from Shopify....we could integrate through SDK if the app got some users)

2) A way to print your own product barcode labels and attach them to your products, if you are not using a barcode attached to your products already by your supplier.

3) Willingness and knowledge of using your smartphone to take inventory.  Probably easier than messing with a barcode reader(s).

We have had some serioius interest in doing this, so let me know your thoughts if you get the chance.

Cheers!

Steve Kohler

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0
0 Likes