Create an external Shipping method

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, I worked for a logistics company which some of our customers are using Shopify for their online stores. I would like to learn if it is possible to create a custom shipping method with Shopify. We will be soon establishing our API endpoints for this feature. The idea is that on a successful checkout process, a trigger to our platform thru an API call will be initiated passing the order details so that we can process the shipment accordingly.

Thank you in advance for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
161 9 53

This is an accepted solution.

Hey there,

Yes, you can create a Carrier Service on a shop using the admin API.  Here you would set the name of the carrier service and the callback_url that Shopify will call when a customer is going through checkout.  Shopify will then send a standard payload to your callback_url that can be used to calculate your rates and echo a response.

A few things to note:

• Active shops must be on the Advanced Shopify plan or higher to use third-party carrier services, however, merchants can switch to annual billing and contact Shopify to have this feature turned on for free, or add it a-la-carte for $20/mo
  • Shopify has a timeout limit of 10 seconds for rate requests.  If your service takes longer than 10 seconds to respond Shopify will return an error message to the customer that no shipping rates are available.
  • Shopify caches rate requests for 5 minutes.  This means that if a customer goes through checkout, backs out and returns within 5 minutes, the rates will be served through cache unless they've made a change to their shipping address or products.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Joel.

Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks Joel for the answer. It is very helpful to learn those notes!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
161 9 53
Not a problem, glad I could help!

Joel.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles
0 Likes