Create reports with the Data Studio connector for Shopify

Shopify Partner
16 0 6

I created a connector for Shopify that allows you to create sales reports in Data Studio. If you're not familiar with Data Studio, here is an overview. The connector comes with a good-looking template to get you started.

Data Studio

This connector is not yet published as I am hoping for some feedback. If you could check it out, I'd appreciate it. It should only take a couple of minutes to go from creating a private app to being able to pull and share live marketing reports.

Details on how to get started are here

Kind regards,

Michael

1 Like
1 0 0

Hey,

Thanks for the connector, I was wondering if it was possible for you to add some additional fields, mainly for revenue attribution and various other reports that are available in shopify, that we could then transfer to data studio?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hey @Michael_Whitak1, thanks for sharing this connector and template. I'm going to give it a try this week. I'm a big fan of Data Studio so I'll provide feedback once I've worked with it a bit. Can you help me understand how your connector solution compares to the Stitch integration for Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
16 0 6

Hi Kevin,

As far as I can tell, Stitch is a hosted app/solution that imports your Shopify data (and any other data source) to Stitch first. Once it's in Stitch you can connect to Data Studio. My community connector connects to Shopify directly, so no intermediaries involved or data stored with third parties. On the flip side, since the connector queries the Shopify API directly, it's not very performant if you have lots of orders and data. 

1 Like
Shopify Partner
16 0 6

Hi there,

Many thanks for your suggestion. At this time the connector only fetches data from the Order API. You can see the response object returned, so if there is a specific data point you're interested in, just let me know and I'll see if I can add it.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Whitak1. I successfully created the connector and can now visualize my data in DS. The instructions were easy to follow so nice work. And I appreciate the clarification on how your connector works. I totally understand. The only thing I couldn't figure out is where you put the link to dashboard template. Maybe I'm just overlooking it, but I don't see it anywhere on your site. I don't really need it per se, but I thought I'd point it out for the users' sake. Thanks again Michael. I'll report back if I find any bugs, otherwise I'd say great work! 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 6

Thanks Kevin,

When you create a connector you have the option to ship it with a template to make it easy for folks to get started, but the link to template gets a bit hidden.

Here is the direct link https://datastudio.google.com/open/1xv-Ph9kNEPNt9a_59A0iDcksk5FJrr1v

0 Likes

Thanks @Michael_Whitak1! I was able to access the report and populate it with my store's data. For some reason, the tables and charts were showing some weird data and duplicate rows, but they all refreshed and corrected themselves once I clicked into them. 

> but the link to template gets a bit hidden.

Can you share a screenshot showing where it is? I'm just curious. I swear I looked everywhere :)

Also, just FYI, I'd recommend updating the font size for the date picker from 18 > auto. For some dates the text runs off the element. 

Finally, I'd recommend updating the decimal precision for Revenue (column 1) in the bottom table from auto > 0. That way all the digits line up evenly. 

Thanks again for sharing this. How can we stay up to speed on what's going on at Analytics Buddy? Are you planning on building off of this? 

0 Likes
Tourist
7 0 2

Hi, thanks alot for the connector!

Is it possible to add discounts and returns to match the Net Total Sales from Shopify, as right now we can only get Gross Sales.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
16 0 6

Hi there,

Great suggestions! I should be able to add discounts, but refunds are a little different. Refunds can happen at any time, potentially many days after an order is placed. So the refunds amount can change based on when you run a report. There is also no Shopify API that can return refunds in aggregate: you have to query each order to get the refunds, which is not scalable. I'll think about this so more.

0 Likes