Solved

Currency, different in store then in POD app

danilee
4 0 0

Hi,

I am using Printify as my POD service but their prices are only uploaded in USD, my store is CAD. So when I price something on Printify for $20USD, it remains $20 but is CAD when in my Shopify store.

Should I be entering the CAD amount in USD on Printify?

Accepted Solution (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @danilee!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Great question! I took a look at Printify's Help Center to see if they have any information on selling in currencies other than USD and I did manage to find a help doc that should clear things up! You can access that right here.

In that help doc, they state that whichever retail price you set in the Printify app will be the same price you see in Shopify; the currency won't automatically convert.

For example - if you wish to sell a shirt for $20 CAD, you need to set up the retail price as $20 in your Printify app. Once published, the product price will be $20 CAD within your store, if your store currency has been set to CAD.

In this case, you'll need to price your products slightly higher to take the USD/CAD exchange rate into account. Otherwise, you may run the risk of having to pay out of pocket to fulfill orders, making it difficult to profit off sales. 

Other print-on-demand apps may handle currencies differently. For instance, Printful offers some currency options so that you can fulfill orders using your own currency. This might make managing your fulfillment process a bit easier. More information on this can be found in their Help Center here.

That being said, you can totally continue using Printify; you'll just need to take into account that the price you set within their app will reflect in your store's currency once the product is imported. 

If you have any further questions about Printify or any other third-party apps, feel free to reach out to the developers directly! You can typically find their contact information directly within their apps, on their individual websites, or under the Support section on their app's page in the Shopify App Store. Some apps, including Printify, even offer live chat through their Help Centers.

I hope this clears things up!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 368

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @danilee!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Great question! I took a look at Printify's Help Center to see if they have any information on selling in currencies other than USD and I did manage to find a help doc that should clear things up! You can access that right here.

In that help doc, they state that whichever retail price you set in the Printify app will be the same price you see in Shopify; the currency won't automatically convert.

For example - if you wish to sell a shirt for $20 CAD, you need to set up the retail price as $20 in your Printify app. Once published, the product price will be $20 CAD within your store, if your store currency has been set to CAD.

In this case, you'll need to price your products slightly higher to take the USD/CAD exchange rate into account. Otherwise, you may run the risk of having to pay out of pocket to fulfill orders, making it difficult to profit off sales. 

Other print-on-demand apps may handle currencies differently. For instance, Printful offers some currency options so that you can fulfill orders using your own currency. This might make managing your fulfillment process a bit easier. More information on this can be found in their Help Center here.

That being said, you can totally continue using Printify; you'll just need to take into account that the price you set within their app will reflect in your store's currency once the product is imported. 

If you have any further questions about Printify or any other third-party apps, feel free to reach out to the developers directly! You can typically find their contact information directly within their apps, on their individual websites, or under the Support section on their app's page in the Shopify App Store. Some apps, including Printify, even offer live chat through their Help Centers.

I hope this clears things up!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CrackleCulture
Visitor
1 0 0

So this would mean that all profit/sales data would be incorrect going forward, as its taking COST of item as USD but sale price would be altered higher (as it is CAD) even though its listed in the POD app as USD. 

So technically, I have a shirt that's 10USD cost, and i set my price to 15USD (which ends up being CAD on my Shopify store) My POD app sees that as a 5$ USD profit, even though its actually quite less as the final sale is done in CAD.

I hope this makes sense, and if so, is there a way around this?