Can customers upload PDFs during the Shopify checkout process?

Beaniie
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

I'm looking for either an app or a way to reproduce the following;

I want to allow pdf uploads for customers during the ordering process. A lot of the apps I have looked at are overly feature-rich, we simply need an "upload your artwork" button at checkout (for pdfs only). Ideally, the uploaded pdf will be tied to the order and can be downloaded from the order tab by a team member for processing.

I don't mind using an app if one exists that isn't overly complex.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 (1)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @Beaniie!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

The best way to give your customers the ability to upload PDF files with their order is by using a third-party app. There are plenty of apps designed to handle this, and you're correct in that many of them offer additional features like resizing, cropping, and editing; most of these apps are for merchants who offer customizable products.

I took a look at the Shopify App Store to see if there are any simple options for you and I managed to find a couple apps worth considering. 

Upload Fields allows your customers to upload PDF files directly through the product page. This app is great for merchants who are collecting large files from customers, as it supports up to 5GB per upload. You can also restrict uploads to specific file types, ensuring you're only receiving PDFs, and you can even choose to make the upload field required, preventing customers from proceeding through the checkout if they haven't uploaded a file. 

When a customer uploads a PDF, file link will be accessible directly within the order details page in your Shopify admin. This should make it easy for your team members to access. 

Upload-Lift is another great option. This app lets your customers upload files directly on the product, contact, cart and order status pages (keep in mind that it won't be possible to offer uploads from the checkout, as the checkout cannot be modified). In this case, it sounds like you'll want to have the upload field visible on either the product page or cart page.

This app also supports files up to 5GB in size and offers unlimited file uploads on every plan. You can also choose to only accept certain file types, restricting uploads to only PDFs. 

However, while the order details page will indicate that the order has an uploaded file associated with it, you'll need to access the file through the app itself. More information on this can be found in Upload-Lift's help documentation here.

I think either app will work out well for you, so feel free to install them and see how you like them. If you have any questions about their functionalities, you can access their FAQs from the Support section of each app listing, or you can contact the app developers directly. 

I'm curious to know what you think! I'd also love to hear about your use-case for accepting uploading PDFs. Are you selling customizable files? 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog