Delete or Pause and App??

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello - I'm a newbie and I need some help and guidance. I added an app to my store thinking that it would benefit my store services only to learn that I will need a few more months to develop the application features.  I would like to "pause" the app until I have carefully planned the strategy to utilize the app.  When following the steps to remove the app, there's a Shopify notice that states that I will no longer see the app in the app store if I remove/delete it.  So this leads me to couple of questions:

1.  What are the "best practices" to test/review the functionality of apps without adding them to our store? (since it appears that removing an app permanently delete your ability to utilize the app in the future)

2.  Why isn't there a feature to "pause" an app if "deleting" will permanently remove access to the app?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
634 105 143

Hello @TSA, There is no option to pause the app for the future if you remove the app. Save changes related to the app has been removed  and you have to reinstall in the future and modify this

if useful like and accept solution

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
33 4 11

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @TSA

Most paid Shopify apps offer a free trial so you can test out the app for a certain period of time before getting charged. If you need more time to develop/configure the app and you want to avoid being charged during the setup process, then you may want to reach out to the app developer to see if they have any options on their end to extend the app's trial. If you do remove/delete the app from your store, then you will not be able to access the app until you re-install/re-add the app to your store.

Depending on the purpose of the app, some of the more reputable apps out there will allow you to control which specific theme in your store is being used by the app. Since Shopify allows you to create duplicate themes for your store, a common practice is to use a new app on a duplicate theme (instead of your store's live theme). With this approach you'll be able to fully test out the functionality of the app on the storefront by previewing the unpublished theme that has the app's code. Since you'd be using an unpublished theme, generally speaking any changes made by the app will not impact the customers who may be shopping on live your store.

Hopefully this helps to shed some light! Best of luck to ya 

Kyle W | Customer Success @ Helium Dev, LLC
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution
Helium builds user friendly apps with top-rated US-based support
Customer Fields App
Meteor Mega Menus App
1 Like