Deposit app

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

From my research, there doesn't appear to be app available to facilitate this - I essentially need customers to pay 25% as a deposit and in a second transaction (at a later date) the balance of the total cost which details the deposit payment on the generated invoice. There are two separate card transactions. I have it currently working on Woo with a ticketing plugin and it's the main reason why I haven't signed up to Spotify and all of the advantages it provides. It can't be that difficult and there are many business who operate with this business model, such as travel agents etc. I simply can't believe that such a large e-commerce paltform as Shopify are unable to provide the tools to make straighforward transcations. I checked out Wix and they don't appear to be able to cope with this type of transcation either. I want to move to Shopify but am stuck in neutral and from what I've seen on this forum it's a commonly requested feature that Shopify has failed to address.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

@Capture Shame, I think it would be popular. I have the same as TuTu Rentals where you keep the deposit but then pay it back if the item is not damaged. 

Would you ever consider getting anyone to build it? I wouldn't know where to start with that?!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Nor I, unfortunately, and it's surprising that nobody has come up with a App already. Perhaps it's the underlying architecture that won't allow it - it would cost quite a bit to commission an App and who knows, perhaps Shopify or a 3rd Party are working on one as we speak. This requirment is only for one aspect of my business need and is actually not the main reason for me wanting to move to Shopify where I will use conventional invoicing without deposits, however I don't want two websites with two systems and double the costs. Why is life never easy!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Just use it with a variant, eg : full price, Deposit etc - works perfectly!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thanks you for your suggestion. As I haven't committed to Shopify yet, I am trying to avoid subscribing and then finding that there is less functionality as I have on my current site. By using it with a variant - full price, deposit etc, can the system be programmed to calaculate let's say an item that costs $1000 by charging a 25% deposit, so $250 and then generate a balance invoice of $750 which isn't due for payment for, say 3-6 months? These would be two seperate card transactions. I'm just trying to understand what Shopify can and can't do before making the change. Really appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I would like to build an app for this, let me know if you are willing to discuss the requirements. my email  is govikan@live.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Thank you for your offer, however I currently have a website with this functionality and will not consider Shopify if it is unable to perform this function, natively. It is an indictment of it's fuctionality as an ecommerce platform if it is unable to fulfil a simple finacial transcation based of deposit and balance.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Nick

I would love to see this get a priority.  However there is another use case.  The people here seem to be describing the scenario of a refundable deposit when renting something.

I own a Leathergoods company.  A large majority of my work is custom work for my clients, and all my work is handmade/handsewn.  I deal mainly in the luxury market working with exotic leathers such as Alligator.  Alligator is the most expensive leather in the world, sometimes being $500-$1000 per square foot!  I need a solution to charge my clients a deposit, say 20% of the final price of the piece, ie a handbag, or "X" material cost, so that I can purchase the raw materials to make the commissioned piece. 

When I am dealing with timelines where it takes my tannery 4-6 weeks to make the finished leather for me and then the bag possibly taking 6-8 months, I can't in good conscience charge my clients the final price, which could be well into the 5 figures for a bag and have them wait almost a year to get it.

Ultimately what I am thinking, there needs to be an "X" amount deposit payable at checkout, balance due at marked at fulfilled but prior to shipped sort of option.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Your requirements seem very similar - currently, I run Woo Commerce with an App called Events Tickets Plus - I'm not selling tickets, however my web company managed to modify it for my needs. So, if the customer decides to book a holiday, they pay a 25% deposit and the balance invoice is automatically prepared and can be sent out when required. The customer then clicks a link and is taken to payments where they pay the balance in a seperate transaction. The invoice shows correctly, the total price, the previously paid deposit and the final balance including the appropriate tax breakdown. I need this functionality to migrate my site fully to Shopify.   

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3156 237 523

Thank you @TamaginiLeather@Capture & everyone else. 

This is all good real-life scenario feedback I can add to the feature request. There is still no timeline, but examples such as these are a great way to help the development team understand why a feature like this is important for store owners such as you. 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes