Deposit app

TutuRentals
Tourist
8 0 8
My use case is a traditional rental deposit model:
1. Client places order for rental
2. Client is charged a rental fee along with a standard/consistent deposit fee e.g $100
3. Merchant receives the fees
4. Rental is delivered to client
5. Client returns rental
6. Merchant returns deposit based on inspection of product
CloudlabSam
Excursionist
30 1 2

@TutuRentals Thanks for the additional information. I have added detail below:

Travel Company

1. As a traveler I would like to provide a non-refundable deposit for my trip via the storefront and be invoiced for the balance at a later date.
  2. As a traveler I would like to pay for my trip in full via the storefront.

Rental Company

1. As a renter, I would like to submit a CC deposit that will be held until I return my rented items.
    1. Client places order for rental
    2. Client is charged a rental fee along with a standard/consistent deposit fee e.g $100
    3. Merchant receives the fees
    4. Rental is delivered to client
    5. Client returns rental
    6. Merchant returns deposit based on inspection of product
CloudlabSam
Excursionist
30 1 2

@TamaginiLeather 

Hi Jeff - I checked out your site and your products are amazing! I'd like to understand a little more about your business so I can understand how you want to use Shopify. From what I can gather:

1. You sell non-custom products on your site, which have set prices and can likely be easily accommodated by Shopify.
  2. You sell custom products that are priced based on the materials and effort involved. I couldn't see this option on your site - how does a customer begin the purchase process for these?

Thanks!

0 Likes
David29
Tourist
6 0 3

Hello,

I have begun coding this app and currently this is what I have so far. This is a simple beta version at the moment but there are still more features to be built out.

depositfy_app_ui.PNG

The current options that I have implemented are:

1. Shop owners can give customers the ability to place a deposit on all products or only some products. (you will be able to create a unique deposit rule for each product if choose to)

2. Deposits can either be optional or required.

3. Deposit calculated either by percentage, fixed amount, or none.

If there are any features or options that you would like please reply and I will put it into the backlog 

@Capture 
@TamaginiLeather 
@TutuRentals 

Capture
Tourist
13 0 3

David,

The deposit configuration you show looks ideal and is similar to the WooCommerce Deposits plugin which I use in my current site and in the advent of me moving to Shopify would certainly be of interest.

0 Likes
TamaginiLeather
Tourist
9 0 8

David

It's great that you are taking this and running but for myself and I know for a bunch of others that have posted on here over the last couple months we are all looking at Shopify to step up and make this part of the core of Shopify as it should be.  This is a basic and core element of doing transactions and should not be forgotten on their end and left to others to write and sell an app to fill in the gap.  There is already too much of what should be core features that are lacking that I end up having to pay for apps.  I know @Nick has chimed in in the past so maybe this is a good time to get his eyes back on it.

I totally get the need for app developers to get merchants the things that aren't typical, but for a lot of industries, this is just part of doing business and should be part of Shopify, not an app dev.

Jeff

0 Likes
Capture
Tourist
13 0 3

Jeff,

I couldn't agree more and until such times as this happens, I see no benefit of moving away from my current site. I am tired of paying web developers and for apps in what is a culture of dependency and there is no reason why we can't have a platform that carries out online transactions without the need for monthly maintenance charges for 'updates' and for the proliferation of apps. Until Shopify provides this they are not going to have the breadth of appeal to grow their marketplace. I hope they are listening.

0 Likes
CloudlabSam
Excursionist
30 1 2

Good discussion here by all. Question for @Capture and @TamaginiLeather - What Ecommerce platforms have you used that have this sort of deposit functionality built-in, meaning not an extension, app or plug-in. WooComemrce requires that you separately install and purchase their WooCommerce Deposits extension. I'd be curious about others.

0 Likes
Capture
Tourist
13 0 3

You are correct - several Woo plugins and whilst functional, are far from ideal. There's little point moving from one set of plugins in Woo to a new set on a different platform where the functionality doesn't natively exist. It is an inditement of the shortcoming of the Shopify platform which is unable to provide for what is a simple transaction.

0 Likes
TamaginiLeather
Tourist
9 0 8

This has been the only platform I've used.  I am new to the whole Ecommerce game since leaving my corporate job last year and going into business for myself, but it's not like I'm new to how commerce in general works.  Even the mom and pop hardware store not far from me can take a CC deposit over the phone or through Quickbooks for something and then have the balance paid, just seems like a simple and obvious feature from the brick and mortar world that has been overlooked by Shopify in the digital world.

0 Likes