Deposit app

Highlighted
1 0 0

Just another +1 and real life scenario to add.

I'm in the process of migrating from WooCommerce. We do pre-orders pretty regularly and offer our customers the deposit option. Many pay in full upfront but at least as many prefer a deposit or installments. We're going to have some pretty unhappy customers the next time we do a pre-order.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Add me in for a +1

We have a chain of Swimming Pool Supply Stores and we sell Liquid Chlorine which how that works is a customer is required to ‘buy/put a deposit on a 2.5 gallon chlorine jug’ —> $6.00 deposit. We have no problem as we have been in business 40 years but we JUST switched to Shopify POS. So we have a customer from 2 months ago who wants to return 2 Jerry Jug’s to get their $6.00 each deposit back for a total of $12.00....

From my knowledge and experience - its impossible to do a refund to ANY transaction in Shopify if the customer did not buy the product using Shopify.... So in my example it’s IMPOSSIBLE to even come up with a work around as we can’t create a products with a price of “-$6.00” or we can’t do negative quantity.... I’m open to ideas as we are at a loss. I understand the concept of you should only return a product/order in which you sold.... but there are many many cases which Shopify is a ‘new’ system for a company that has been in business a long time... To be honest; I guarantee the longest Shopify customers are customers who are established. I’ve been doing this a long time and I’ve been involved in many businesses w/ Shopify - one more recent one was a group who opened up Mattress stores which 90% of our ‘new customers’ who were starting off as a new business went out of business within the first 6-12 months. All our clients who had multiple mattress stores for 5, 10, 15, + years all stayed in business and were with us for many years.

So I think this feature is very important for established businesses. 

If ANYONE knows of apps, customizations (I see many people say they can do customizations - can someone provide a estimate and I just want to know if its $100, $500, $1,000, etc..) - I won’t hold you to it but you know how shopify works. I’m a shopify partner myself and we employ developers but this is something we have not done. We also have limited expertise with the POS application API which is something we are actively learning and we are currently hiring a Shopify POS expert as we are getting more and more clients with retail stores and we are big fans of retail store websites ran on Shopify using Google Shopping Local. I can go on and on with reasons here - I can say that out of the 10 largest cities in America, we had Mattress Store clients in 8 of the top 10 cities and in ALL of those situations; our Shopify site we managed from the start to the end and they were #1 - #3 organic ranking for “Mattresses”, “Mattress Store”, “Mattresses near me”, etc. — We also own many Shopify Ecom sites. Clearly we are big Shopify fans and developers / optimizers - I’m just honest and I don’t believe in saying I know something when I do not.

- Owner of multiple Shopify 7 & 8 figure annual sites.
- Started first Ecommerce Company in 2001 and have since started over 60 Corporations since.
- Shopify Partner - I love to help and share knowledge as well as coach / consult on a very limited basis.
0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

We are Shopify app developers and are always looking for new app ideas. This sounds like one that could solve for a lot of merchants. What would a merchant be willing to pay monthly for an app like this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Honestly nothing, unless there was absolutely no way that Shopify was going to implement this.

This is a base level sales feature that they should of had from day one.  Businesses of all types and sizes have taken either refundable deposits or initial payment deposits long before the internet so to me this is an oversight on Shopify’s part for not having this feature.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Would this be reflective of the way everyone else feels?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Personally, I would say yes and feel that Shopify's inability to offer this within the architecture in what is meant to be the best online retail solution, is one of the reasons that I have decided not to move to a Shopify platform. I currently have this functionality in WordPress site and by moving to Shopify I will create as many problems as I would solve by migrating from WordPress. Shopify needs to broaden the appeal of the platform with onboard deposits as a standard feature. It's hardly a new business concept. Having to pay for myriad monthly apps is not an attractive proposition for most businesses.

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Thanks for the feedback. Question on WooCommerce - is this something out of the box or are you using WooCommerce Deposits? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

We are using WooCommerce deposits which is $107 annually. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
11 0 0

Thanks for the info. It appears that WooCommerce Deposits is pretty much the standard for deposits in WooCommerce, although there are other plug-ins available. Just seems that no one has created something for Shopify yet.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

@Capture  and @TamaginiLeather 

We need this same functionality as described by you both, for the exact same reasons. we've been Shopify users for years and haven't been able to take deposits and or partial payments for Pre-order goods or Custom goods. we've had to use QB and process payment and invoices manually outside of Shopify. you'd think Shopify would create this feature so they can start collecting their % off of this type of orders!

also adding that this should be a feature inclusive as a Shopify user. Shopify is making money/% per order transaction already. so no, paying a developer to utilize this feature as an add-on/application and still have Shopify take their cut is just absurd. 

0 Likes