Digital and physical products

Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi guys 

I was wondering with my products if i could possible sell digital and physical goods on the store? 

So for example in my store you can either buy a digital pattern which is sent through email or a physical pattern which is sent through the post to your house : 

Example on my store : https://the-assembly-line-shop.myshopify.com/products/box-pleat-dress-sewing-pattern?variant=3163421...

Now my question is , is this possible and can it be done automatic? So if they choose under the dropdown "Format" and pick "Digital" when they go trough the checkout and enter there email an automatic email with a PDF will be sent to them, and if they choose the "physical" good then of course i will deal with that and send it by post to there house.  

Is that possible or do i need to have the same product but 2 variants? i.e - Product 1 is called "Physical dress" Product 2 is called "Digital dress" and then i would need to use an app for the digital side? 

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 132

Hey, @Blindeagle

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

How do you currently have these options on your store set up?

Depending on that, you may be able to tweak a setting which will let your store know whether the customer would like a digital file or physical product during their checkout.

If that is not the best option, we do have the Digital Downloads app, which would enable you to do this with variants. This forum post here is asking a similar question, and the process is explained in the replies. You could set up these variants to look very similar to how you currently have it, so customers would still only need to select either physical or digital from a dropdown to get the correct pattern sent to them!

I also noticed that you shared this post in the Shopify Design board. To avoid duplication in the forums, I've removed that one for you. Please feel free to follow up with me here if you have any questions at all on what I've said!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi Lizzy thank you for the reply

I would really like to avoid the app is there a built in function/ something when setting up products which would allow me to say if they choose digital it would send an email with a pdf automatically and if its manual i would handle that my self?

Or is it best to stick with the app? 

Thanks  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 132

You're welcome!

There isn't a built in feature for this in the admin at this time. The app that I shared above is developed by Shopify, so it is entirely free and supported by our team.  The only way to avoid using an app would be to have the two variants available on you product, and then manually send out the digital attachment, if that is what the customer has chosen.

That being said, I would be happy to pass this on to our development team. That way they'll be aware that we have businesses using our platform who would prefer that this option was built in, instead of relying on installing an app! Feel free to share your store URL with me here, if you'd like me to include that in my feedback for them.

Thank you,

Lizzy | Shopify Support

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Thanks again

So just to fully understand the only way to make this work with 1 product with the dropdown is the app?

So again on the store, a product i have : https://the-assembly-line-shop.myshopify.com/products/almost-long-trousers-sewing-pattern

The way i have set it up with a dropdown for the user to choose either "digital" or "paper" can the app worth with this? or does it have to be 2 different products? 

Thanks again Lizzy for the help 

Ali

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 132

Hey, Ali!

That's correct. You would need to use the app at this time.

Are those drop downs, variants within your product in the admin? If so, then you've got this set up correctly already! You'll just need to link the digital variants to their matching digital files using the Digital Downloads app.

Let me know if you run into any trouble with that! Our live support will be able to help out too, if you'd prefer to speak to someone via phone or chat!

Lizzy

0 Likes