Digital downloads - getting 404 Error page when clicking on download file link

sproutsparrow
4 0 0

Hi,
we've just installed the Digital downloads app on our website and have setup our first product. I did a test order and when I click on the link to download the file it directs me to a 404 Error page. I have uploaded the correct files for download and everything else appears to have been setup correctly.

Need to work out why the download seems to be unavailable. Any help greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much.

Replies 6 (6)

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @sproutsparrow

This is Rae from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out about this. 

After your test checkout, did you click the download link in your checkout, or within the email you received, when this 404 error appeared? If the same error appeared through both methods, it's possible that the app proxy URL you have set up is causing this error to show up. 

To double check if this is the case, and to resolve this, please follow these steps: 

1. Log in to your Shopify admin 
  2. Click 'Apps' in the lefthand sidebar 
  3. Beside the Digital Downloads app click 'About' 
  4. Scroll down to the 'App proxy' section and ensure the URL shown here ends with /a/downloads
  5. If it doesn't, click 'Customize URL' and change the URL so that it now ends with /a/downloads
  6. Click 'Save' 

For example, the URL should look like this: 

21-05-88n1b-xrf7w.png

Please give those steps a try and keep me posted on how this goes! If you're still encountering this 404 error, just let me know and I'll be happy to help confirm the next steps needed to get this resolved. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

sproutsparrow
4 0 0

Hi Rae,

thanks so much for your response. I have checked and yes, the URL appears to be correct in the App proxy section.

After the test checkout I clicked the link within the email I received, it went straight to the 404 page. I have just done another test and now there is no link at all in the email.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Tash

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @sproutsparrow

I appreciate you getting back to me about this, and trying out the troubleshooting steps I shared previously. 

When placing a test order on your end, are you following these steps? Or, are you using Shopify Payments to complete the test order by following these steps?

To see if we can get the download link to appear correctly in your checkout and via email, I recommend clearing your browser cache, or using Chrome Incognito mode, and then placing another test order using one of the methods I shared above. 

Please keep me posted on how these tests go! 

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @sproutsparrow

I wanted to check in with you here to see if you were able to resolve this issue? Did the above troubleshooting steps help, or are you still experiencing the same problem?

Please let me know! 

sproutsparrow
4 0 0

Hi,

I have just noticed that the link in the email that gets sent to the customer is incorrect. However, the link in the downloads details is the right one. Please see attached screenshots. I am not sure how to change the link in the email the customer receives to the right one.

Is this something you can help with?

Thanks so much,

Tash.

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 10.29.59 pm.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-29 at 10.29.54 pm.png

  

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @sproutsparrow

Thanks for this update. 

Have you edited the 'Downloads ready' email template in your admin by following the steps in our help document linked here? If so, this may have caused the incorrect link to appear. 

Can you also please confirm if the incorrect link is appearing only on your test orders, or if it's also showing up on orders placed by customers, too? 

If you haven't edited the above email template, and if customers are receiving the wrong download link, please reach out to our Support team via our Help Center using this link. That way, we can discuss this with you over live chat, email, or through a callback, and get this looked into further. 

Best,