Discount Codes

Lee_Andes
Tourist
10 0 2

I'm looking for some way to specify what products I want my discount code to be eligible for. My first thought was there may be an app that would provide enhanced specifications, but I'm not sure. 

Basically I want to reward customers with coupons occasionally to be used on our less popular products to build awareness, but the discount codes offered by shopify don't offer many restricitions. Even a "1 time use per IP address" would be incredible, so customers couldn't attempt to use the same code multiple times.

Am I way behind and missing a simple fix to these types of issues? Help!

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 58

Hi Lee!

You could simply generate a unique code for a customer whenever they purchase one of your less popular products and send it to them manually when you're processing the order. That's a fairly straight forward way to accomplish this.

Let me know what you think!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Lee_Andes
Tourist
10 0 2
Hey thanks for your reply, however thats the method I have been using. My concern is that for things like the app coupon popup and facebook reviews use the same code requiring it to stay active which would allow customers to just use the same code over and over again. I think that it would be fairly straight forward to further develop the shopify discounts section however if its more complex than I think then a developer should definitely look into a fix. I could see this being developed in multiple different ways.
0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 58

Hey Lee.

I can kinda see what you mean. I will launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that this feature will be added, we're more than happy to pass along suggestions some shop owners may have that would provide greater versatility to the platform.

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Lee_Andes
Tourist
10 0 2
Awesome that'll be awesome
0 Likes
Dani10
Shopify Partner
135 0 9

It would be great to have one time use coupons. But not just a single use and the code cant be used, but single use per customer.

Also codes available only for new customers for their first order only. There is always the possibility a customer will order under new name and details but that isn't a huge concern.

Also codes only for customers who have spent a total certain amount on all their previous orders. But that comes into trouble with people who have returned or cancelled orders, the amounts shown they have spent becomes incorrect.

Also free shipping discount codes that work how they used to, spend a certain amount and recieve free shipping. But also have further control and add a limit to how much can be ordered and receive free shipping, example free shipping on orders over $100 and up to $300. 

Also it would be nice if the dashboard for orders showed prices for products both with and without the discount code applied. So if an item needs refunding it can be refunded easily and correctly at the discounted price and not the full price. Having to do the math for that manually can be quite a pain and would be just more efficient if that was shown on the order page.

Also store credit would be great if it was separated from discount codes, so customers could basically have a real account with a certain credit amount and then able to use discount codes. Customer get quite cranky using a store credit code and then finding out they cant also use a discount code at the same time, and frankly I do not blame them.

Just a few ideas to think about Shopify, these are not new ideas either, I have seen pretty much all these mentioned in this forum for some years now.

Discount codes certainly need a lot of improvement and greater control for us Shop Owners.

0 Likes
Lee_Andes
Tourist
10 0 2
I totally agree. The discount section on this platform needs to be addressed to become more precise and specific. Thus creating an environment that allows shop owners to get exactly what they need out of the service.
0 Likes
FROMHAWAIIwLOVE
2 0 0

aloha

i am trying to create one discount code that i can send to individual customers over email that they can enter at check out manually.

when i tried this, the discount code was automatically added to every order coming through.

how do i get the discount code i want without it being applied to every order automatically?

thank you very much!

0 Likes