Discount off a single item?

Excursionist
13 0 13

I dug around for a while trying to find an answer to this, but the closest I came was a post from 2006... 

We would like to offer a discount off a single item, let's say 25% off the highest priced item in their cart, is there an app or way to do this?  

Thank you for any assistance.

Stacy

2 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
423 0 77

Hi, Stacy!

My name is Jade, I am with the Support Team at Shopify!

I was not able to find apps that will do exactly what you are looking for but I did find some apps that come close. Ultimate Special Offers. The app is $19.00 – $99.00 USD/month depending on the Shopify Plan you are on and has a free 10-day trial. In the section on the app page that says Buy X Get Y, they describe being able to do the discount you are looking for but instead of discounting the highest priced item in the cart their app discounts the lowest priced item in the cart, which is normally done in retail stores as well when purchasing products. The app Buy X Get One by Supple works the same way by discounting the lowest cost product in the cart. This app is $16.99 USD/month and has a 7-day free trial, which costs less than the Ultimate Special Offers app.

An alternative is to use the app Product Bundles which is $15.99 USD/month and has a free 30-day trial. With this app, you can technically bundle your products to create a discount, however, this will apply the discount to the entire order instead of the highest priced product.

While we do not have an exact app at this time that will discount the highest costing product in the cart, there are Shopify Experts for hire that may be able to customize something in your store to help you set that up!

Have a great day! ?

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 0 13

Hi Jade,

Thank you for your response, we are currently using Ultimate Special Offers but we were uable to figure out how to run this with the highest price item.  Maybe we're thinkign about it all wrong and need to do a little bit more research on this option.  Thank you again for your response and for helping to point out some other options we could look into. 

Sincerely,

Stacy

0 Likes
Tourist
27 0 2

If you are on Shopify Plus, there is a way to do it using scripts.  You effectively create a blank "placeholder" discount code that has no value or logic behind it.  Using scripts, you detect the presence of the code, and if code is present apply price change to target line item, which in this case is the most expensive item(can be found by looping through the items and comparing each one).

Unfortunately this option is not scallable as you have to supply the discount code in the script for it to detect the presence of said code.  If you are using the bulk discount app to create a massive number of % off single item (forget most expensive for a moment), you'd have an array that could get quite large quite fast, and require constant update.

Very odd that the logic exists for fixed price discounts(excluding the most expensive concept), but not percentage discounts.  Would love to see this in an update soon!

If anyone else has any ideas, I'd sure love to hear those as well.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9746 86 1493

Since this thread has been renewed I'm curious to know why such a specific discount would be needed. What are the use cases?

A discount code that reduces the cart price by a certain amount would have the same result of discounting the most expensive product by the same amount. In the end the total price is reduced.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
27 0 2

Here is why this scenario is needed.  Keep in mind my store typically functions at 1.2 items per order).

- 50% off coupon

- 3 items in cart:

Item A $500

Item B $250

Item C $50

- Scenario 1(Highest priced Item):

$250 + $250 + $50 = $550

- Scenario 2(All items in cart)

($500 + $250 + $50)*0.5 = $400

My margin can't afford that extra $150 off.  I could go around issuing 30% off coupons to mitigate that extra cost, but 30% off cart vs 50% off single item given my 1.2 item/order rate is far more enticing.  The argument could be made that since we only have a 1.2 item/order metric why bother with the most expensive when the coupon will typically only be used on single item orders, but I'd fully expect that average items/order to sky rocket given the circumstance.

Compound this even further if I want to issue unique codes to a list of 20K people that's quite the array to build out in scripts.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9746 86 1493

I can see how a dollar based discount isn't a problem with that setup, but a percent would be. Good feedback - thanks for sharing.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
27 0 2

Yeah fixed amount is a no brainer....I'm just scratching my head why the same functionality wasn't added to percentage based discounts with a simple three option dropdown (apply to random single item, apply to least expensive, apply to most expensive)

1 Like
Shopify Partner
120 0 3

a-aron, why don't you use the shopify plus app called "script editor" and write a custom script to implement your needs for the discount you want to offer. It has capability to do exactly what you want to achieve. There are examples of various scripts in the documentation. Hopes this helps. 

- there is no spoon... webmaster at betterbuiltcode dot COM
0 Likes
Tourist
27 0 2

I currently have something in place to do just that...all discounts are configured in UI as 0.00 percent, with a prefix containing Discount20, Discount30, Discount40 etc(i.e. Discount20-sfkjadhfakljhasd). In the script if Discount40 is included in current cart discount string, apply 40% discount.

This is not ideal as I'd rather keep things cleaner and completely contained within Shopify Default behavior though...only reason I posted.

0 Likes