Discrepancy between ReCharge and Shopify on order total amount

Excursionist
13 2 0

Don't know if the blame lays with the way Shopify does things or if it is the ReCharge ways that is incorrect but their difference approaches they both use are giving me accounting reconciliation headaches.

What I mean will be more easily understood with an example.

There is an order in which the total amount for all items comes to $40.50

There is a 15% discount on the order, so 15% on $40.50 comes to $6.075

The invoice for an order like this one, if only Shopify is as follows (No rounding on the Discount but rounding on the Total): 

Discount: -$6.07
Subtotal 6 items $34.43
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $34.43
Paid by customer $34.43

But for an order where ReCharge is involved (because it is a subscription order) looks like this on the ReCharge dashboard. Note that unlike Shopify ReCharge rounded up the Discount amount:

Sub-total: $40.50

Shipping : $0.00

Discount: -$6.08 

Taxes: $0.00

Total: $34.42

So for an order of $40.50 with a 15% discount, sometimes the total is $34.43 (if order is a one-time order), sometimes $34.42 (if the order is a subscription order). But to compound on the issue, this messes up accounting reconciliation because if we look at the subscription order from ReCharge through Shopify's admin or its API (REST or GraphQL), what we end up seeing is as follows:

Discount: -$6.07
Subtotal 6 items $34.43
Shipping $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $34.43
Paid by customer $34.42

Notice the last two lines!!! It makes it looks like the customer did not pay the full amount.

I am assuming we end up with this because ReCharge does not push the discount amount to Shopify but rather the discount percentage, as that would explain why for the same invoice #, the discount amount and total amount differs if it is viewed from Shopify rather than from the ReCharge dashboard.

I guess the only way to stop those discrepancies would be for ReCharge to reach out to Shopify and confirm where they perform their rounding up (discount, total,...) so that they both end up doing it the same way. Otherwise accounting reconciliation will never be feasible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
50 0 3

Hi there,

With ShipperHQ, you’re not limited to customizing your shipping rates and methods based on only a couple factors. Here’s a list of factors that you can customize your shipping by:

• Zones defined by Country, Region/State, City of Zip/Postal Code
  • Price, Weight or Quantity Filters
  • Per Quantity or Weight Unit Charges
  • Minimum and Maximum charges
  • Shipping Groups and Customer Groups
  • Shipping origin-based rules 
  • Box-based rules
  • Surcharge or Discount Live Rates
  • Hide or Show Shipping Options

This is handled by our Carrier Rules functionality, which you can read more about here. The nice thing about shipping rules is you can be as granular as you want, which means you have a major impact on how much you charge and the type of delivery options you provide. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 2 0

My question had nothing to do with shipping carriers. It's about ReCharge and Shopify not calculating things the same way

0 Likes