Do page builder apps increase page loading time?

Solved
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hello. I'm just getting started with Shopify, and I'm making my website. I'm dissatisfied with the free themes available, and have been looking into either purchasing a paid theme or using a page builder. So far, I've begun the free trial of Shogun and so far its features have been perfect for making the website match the vision I have in mind for it.

My concern is that using the page builder will unacceptably increase the website load time. I do intend to make the design feature-lite, but I have read that simply using page builders adds many lines of unnecessary code that slows down load speed. I do not have the technical knowledge to validate or dismiss this claim, and I do not wish to spend a lot of time designing a website to learn that it loads too slowly for my customizations to be worthwhile.

By how much does a page builder (such as Shogun or PageFly) increase website load time? Is it worthwhile to pay for a premium theme instead (that I will not be able to customize to my exact specifications, but will likely look passable after some time spent with it)? I lack any sort of coding knowledge and learning an entire coding language so that I can customize my website is something I simply do not have time for.

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Expert
9852 98 1618

They will add to the load times as they'll very likely be adding in their own custom CSS. So at best, they'll be adding extra bytes to download. Whether the impact of that is something you need to worry about is debatable. You'd need to compare the before/after and weigh up if the added features the tool brings is worth any minor speed loss.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Explorer
109 3 4

Hi, Tenchairs,

This is Song Fei from Giraffly company which develop apps for shopify. I see you are looking for page speed performance apps in this thread. 

Page speed is a very important thing for shop visitors. And we developed a page speed app for user like you. Here is our app's shopify store address: Page Speed Boost

The Page Speed Boost uses the cheating latency which helps you preloading a page right before a user clicks on it. There is a time between a user hover the mouse over a link and actually click on it. That time is so quick and people won't even notice while our App detects and takes a good advantage of that time and do a just-in-time preloading for that page. So when you click on that link, that pre-loaded page opens instantly. This principle works on mobile as well, as when a user touching a link and before releasing it leaves PageSpeed Boost a good time to preload that page.

You can click and see more instruction here:  Page Speed Boost

And this app has a lot more function. You can see more instuction here:Sticky Add to Cart + Animation. You'll love it.

0 Likes