Fake App reviews

2 0 2

Johannes' points are right.

In my opinion, there are two main reasons why developers feel encouraged to write fake reviews:

1. Reviews are critical for an app success because the position on the Shopify App Store is determined, almost exclusively, by the number of reviews. And the position on the Shopify App Store is key for app sales.
  2. Shopify seems to do nothing with fake reviews. They are still there, as we all can see, and the developers are earning money with their apps promoted by fake reviews.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
100 0 9

Reviews are critical for an app success because the position on the Shopify App Store is determined, almost exclusively, by the number of reviews. And the position on the Shopify App Store is key for app sales.

Absolutely! With 5-10 (or even more) new apps per day it got incredible hard to be even noticed by merchants (and therefore getting installs and reviews). Promoting apps in the forums doesn't help much either.

I guess this is a general issue with growing app eco-systems but probably could be slowed down a bit by introducing more sub-categories (including featuring apps on each channel).

I mean currently almost 70% of the apps are added to the "Tools" section. If shopify would break this down to "Tools /  Currency Conversion", "Tools / Translation", "Tools / Live Editors", "Tools / Navigation", etc. each app would have much better chances to being recognized in each channel and making it easier for merchants to find apps that they are looking for.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
9981 84 1492

To anyone that thinks there's an app with nothing but fake reviews I'd suggest bringing that to the attention of the Shopify Support Team. Fake vs Real reviews may not be as easy to spot since stores can close, re-open, be paused (etc) after posting, but there's value in raising concerns. 

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Jason,

yes, I understand your point but, as we strongly think that some reviews are fake (short reviews, closed shops, lots of the reviews in a few days...) there's no easy way to prove it. 

I hope the Shopify team implement some 'fake alert' in their system: checking for installations / reviews ratio, or number of reviews from from stores with no real sales.

0 Likes
Excursionist
47 0 10

Funny, i saw that this morning too.  I like the reviews that when you click on the reviews link it comes to a dead or non-existant website.

0 Likes
Excursionist
47 0 10

What makes it more interesting on these reviews is that when the review says all these great features, then you install the app and those features are not even part of the app or even work as the review claims they do.

Also, I believe that when you search for FREE apps, it should ONLY bring up TOTALLY FREE apps, not apps with a free trial. They all have free trials, but that does qualify as a FREE app. That needs to be fixed first and foremost 

1 Like
2 0 2

Yes, the app market would be a better place with no fake reviews, better categorization and straightforward prices.

1 Like
Shopify Expert
46 0 2

So you tried, didn't you?

Hi Amrish, I hope conversations will go in healthy way here. Obviously we didnt tried it but being a member of this community from years, we know the rules and policies of Shopify.

One thing Shopify can do for reviews that if a Reviewer's shop get closed after some time for any reason, the reviews posted by that store owner should also be removed automatically.
OR, if a user uninstall the app, the review should also be removed.

Many times when users click on the link on a review, app may not be working there as reviews exist even after deletion of app from store.

Thanks 

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Another clear example of fake reviews https://apps.shopify.com/shogun#reviews-heading

The app has been there for more than one year getting about 20 reviews in total and, suddenly, it gets more than 50 reviews in one month.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 2

Another simple example of fake reviews https://apps.shopify.com/eu-cookie-bar#reviews-heading

A new app, in testing, and gets 10 reviews right after its publication.

0 Likes