Free Google Shopping Beta

Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
293 0 11

Install the free the Google Shopping Beta

Shopify is getting ready to release it's official Google Shopping App. This app will sync your Shopify Store with Google Merchant Center giving your access to 2 of Google's paid features for getting more traffic to your store.

Google Shopping - Google's own search engine especially for products. You are listed for free if you have an active AdWords campaign.

Google Product Listing Ads - paid AdWords product results on Google's main search engine

Google Product Ads are much cheaper than traditional text-based Google AdWords and convert around the same number of customers. It's a little tricky to get set up if you've never set up adwords before, but it's worth it because the CPC (cost per click) is low and Google will even give you free clicks if you are a paying adword customer. 

While we've tried to make this as pain-free as possible, it will take at least 10 minutes to set up your store with Google Merchant Center. 

Any feedback is welcome. 

5 Likes
Tourist
39 0 2

This looks promising. Will it replace the current Shopify Merchant Center integration? Can you describe how the integration actually works? Do you synch nightly, on demand, etc? How much control do I have over the feed? The current integration is very unpredictable, which can be very frustrating during the holiday season. I attached a screenshot of what the current integration yields for my company. As you can see, the number of products Google lists and the status of those products varies widely from one day to the next!

Gifts for Pet Lovers @ http://www.petpawfection.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
293 0 11

This will replace the current Google Shopping implementation in the old admin. 

The integration is API based, so there is no feed. 

We sync whenever your product are updated by you.

I've used the previous integration in admin1 and had the same problems you did. Google added a slew of new requirements and properties for merchants to fill out. The new app is up to date with Google's standards, but it does require a little more work form merchants to set up. But it's worth it. 

1 Like
Tourist
39 0 2

Thanks Mark. Sounds like this is the way to go. I'll give it a try.

Gifts for Pet Lovers @ http://www.petpawfection.com
0 Likes
2 0 2

Is there any way to bulk update the extra fields required, instead of doing them individually? We're having to add product type, gender, age, etc all one at a time - can we not do it with csv files?

2 Likes
Shopify Expert
3932 14 323

Ha!

I am just today, finishing up all the final touches on Meta Tagger App... and it has 100% support for all those new Google Shopping tags, with the bonus of bulk import/export on those specific resource tags.

All CSV beauty for you, and anyone else into Google Shopping.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
2 0 2

Sounds good, will look out for that ;)

Also for the few products I have added so far, google is Disaproving them because: The URL specified in your data feed wasn't working correctly when we reviewed this item.

Even though, when you click the link it comes up fine? Is it because each product url seems to have something along the lines of this: ?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc on the end?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3932 14 323

I just spent the weekend perfect the bulk export/import of Google Shopping tags in my App. Now I have to develop the Liquid to render them in a way that Google likes. Thanks for the hot tip that that is also needed!!

I am sure I will be tapping some knowledgeable merchants for help in that!

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

this app is majorly flawed in the fact that you can only add the meta data to one product before it crashes, and the fact that when you export the products there isnt a field in the CSV to update is also really annoying. at present i would highly suggest not wasting your time in downloading and trying to get this product to work

0 Likes
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
293 0 11

Hey Paul!

When you say it "crashes" what do you mean? Can you please post a screenshot? Your the first person I've heard that's had trouble with adding meta fields. 

The bulk editing of meta tags is annoying we are aware that it's a real pain if you have 1000s of products. 

0 Likes