Free shipping, not a "bar"

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
103 0 15

Is there any app to help display free shipping offers that does NOT involve a "bar" or other nonscrolling addition to the page?  I'd like to display a prominent reminder to readers of how they can qualify for free shipping, and have it track the current contents of the cart, but I want it to display as part of the page (for instance, near the "add to cart" button on product pages.  Nonscrolling bars are a dealbreaker.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
265 1 14

Hi Matthew,

That's possible without any app, it can be customized. When it comes to the logistics though, what kind of tracking current contents of the cart did you have in mind?

Jarvis @ Kaleido
- Slow Shopify Store? Install our PageSpeed Magic app.
- Have more questions? Feel free to email me.
- My reply helped? Click Like to show me some love!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
103 0 15

I'd like to be able to tell customers something like what Amazon says - "Add $23.68 more to qualify for free shipping to Papua New Guinea!" coupled with geolocation that will use the appropriate shipping offer for the location.  I've modified the page template to show my free-shipping offer near the "add to cart" button, but it has a few limitations:

• what I have right now uses Javascript;
  • it'll need manual rewriting if I ever change my shipping offers;
  • it uses geolocation on the client side, which often doesn't work because of adblockers and such; and
  • it doesn't have any information about what may already be in the shopping cart, so it can't say how much to add to qualify for free shipping - only display the relevant offer for a best guess of the client's location, when the client-side geolocation hasn't failed.

It seems like an "app" would have access to more data:  contents of the cart, server-side geolocation, and my configured shipping options (to avoid rewriting the code when those change).

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
265 1 14

Wall, a private app is the solution for you. It will have access to customer data, their previous orders, etc.

There's nothing wrong with geolocation on the client side as long as you have the access to their data from the backend - cart is accessible too so all the necessary checks can be performed and you can say "$23.68 more to qualify for free shipping to Papua New Guinea!" or something along the lines.

Quite straight forward albeit it would be slightly time consuming.

Jarvis @ Kaleido
- Slow Shopify Store? Install our PageSpeed Magic app.
- Have more questions? Feel free to email me.
- My reply helped? Click Like to show me some love!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
103 0 15

Yes, it sounds like a job for an app.  That was what I posted to ask about - whether anyone knew of an app that would do this.

Geolocation on the client side won't work if the user's ad blocker blocks the connections that the Javascript must make in order to do the geolocation.  And commonly used ad blockers do block the connections made by FreeGeoIP in particular.  When I was debugging my existing Javascript code, I asked some friends to view my page and see what it told them, and every one reported back "No, it's not working."  Turned out they were all using ad blockers that blocked FreeGeoIP by default.  Okay, it's a free service, not critical, I made it fail safe so that the display is still somewhat useful if it can't figure out where the user is... but if I were paying for this I would expect it to really work, no excuses.  And if it were doing the geolocation on the server side, ad blockers wouldn't be an issue.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Why don’t you try Money Money Bar Shopify free shipping bar this allows you to create customizable bar position and geo location targeting and can automatically adds free shipping to store visitors when they are about to check out.

0 Likes