GDPR requirements/Webhook testing

Tourist
5 0 0

Hi-

I am in the final stages of building my embedded app with Node, Koa and React.  I am trying to configure the required webhooks for app submission.

I've gleaned from other threads that there's no preconfigured way to test these webhooks through the shopify admin.  I'm wondering - are there any workarounds that people have found for testing these endpoints?  How do the shopify administrators test these endpoints when an app is in review?  Without the ability to test these endpoints, how can I possibly know if these endpoints I've configured will function properly when it is under review or in production?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
839 82 123

You can test customer redaction as well as data request on your development store by creating a test Customer and then within the Shopify Admin, find that customer, open the details and on the right-hand side you should see two buttons View customer data and Erase customer data. To test the Shop redaction webhook you can just uninstall the app on your development store and you should get that webhook fired.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 0

Thanks for the quick reply!

Doesn't the shop redaction webhook take two days?  Do i have to wait two days every time i want to test the webhook?

0 Likes
Excursionist
19 0 2

Hi

I had the same problem - beyond unit testing my approach was to disable the HMAC validation on the endpoint and send example hooks. Obviously i re-enabled after the test

Its not perfect but I wanted to integration test the persistence layer

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
839 82 123

That is an option, however, it is more of a higher level Unit Test than a full integration test, as you mock the payload Shopify is sending over.

Sergiu Svinarciuc | CTO @ visely.io
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
- To learn more about the awesome stuff we do head over to visely.io or our blog
0 Likes