Gift card app

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi guys,

We are currently in the process of building our coffee subscription website. One of the features we would like to offer to our clients is the possibility to buy our gift cards, and this is how we envision the process:  

1. The client would be able to purchase and gift a gift card with any dollar amount on it. 
  2. Then the gift recipient would receive an email with the gift message, an explanation about our company, and a code that they could use to redeem their gift card on our website using the credit/money to buy any of our products.
  3. If the purchase amount is less than the value of the card, they'd have credit remaining. If the purchase amount is greater, they can add a credit card to cover the difference.
  4. If the product they choose is a subscription, the gift card would be used until the credit is depleted, then it would charge their credit card.
  5. This gift card could be given as an in a printable page, or through email.

Does anyone know if there's an ability to build this into the web site through Shopify or if there's a separate plug in that we would need to use?

Thank you!

Paula

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
289 22 32

On Shopify this could be done in theory.

On Professional level you could set the gift card rates (so not choose any rate).  If you are on Plus you get more freedom with the gift card api.

Also the buyer always gets the gift card on shopify.  IF you use an app called Gift Wizard, i believe they have a feature to send it to someone else.  Not sure though if that one is Plus only for that feature or not.

Best Regards,
Duncan.
Isle of misfit code & development
http://ecomdev.ca
1 Like
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you Duncan for the info. 

We are planning on starting with Shopify basic. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
289 22 32

Gift cards need Shopify Professional to be used with the platform.  That puts you at a disadvantage there.  The Gift Card system also uses Set prices.  You can set them, but it does no give a "Choose your amount" option.  In theory an App Like Gift Wizard could do it, but your running into either the app handling all your gift cards and your checkout, or needing to be on the Plus Plan for enterprise stores to get access to the gift card API.  In the very least you need Professional Plan for Gift cards.

Best Regards,
Duncan.
Isle of misfit code & development
http://ecomdev.ca
0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
299 62 87

Hey, Paula!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

The gift card feature is for Shopify professional plan or higher. Here's a great document goes through step by step on how to create a gift card from Shopify admin.
17_26-eu8ed-7whot

Here're the limitations on what the gift card can do. I've gone through each point so it's easier for you to decide if the functions serve your needs. The point not mentioned means it's covered in the gift card feature. 

@PLCoffee wrote:

The client would be able to purchase and gift a gift card with any dollar amount on it. 

The card amount is fixed by how you've created it, instead of from the customer loading the card. For instance, you can create a $25 dollar gift card for the customers to purchase. The gift card is considered as a product. The customers can't buy a blank card and decided to load it with a random amount they wish to upload. A good workaround is to inform your customers to contact you and you can adjust the card amount for them.

@PLCoffee wrote:

Then the gift recipient would receive an email with the gift message, an explanation about our company, and a code that they could use to redeem their gift card on our website using the credit/money to buy any of our products.

The gift card notification email can be edited to your standard at Shopify admin > Settings > Notifications > Gift card created
17_26-el3zu-3pqze
The email is built by HTML code so you can modify it to tell your band story. The rest of the information you wish to include is already included in the original template.

@PLCoffee wrote:

If the product they choose is a subscription, the gift card would be used until the credit is depleted, then it would charge their credit card.

Depending on which subscription app you use, it's best to double check how the gift card integrates with the payments. This relies on the app developer to ensure this feature is included. If the app developer can't customize the app for you, I recommend you to reach out to Shopify Experts. One of the developers will be able to create this feature for you with a contracted fee.

If your goal is to create a physical gift card, I recommend considering upgrading your plan. Once you're on the professional plan or higher, you can order physical gift cards to print and distribute. This allows the freedom for the customer to purchase any amount they wish to upload into the card over the point of sale system.

An alternative if you wish to use a third-party app is Gift Cards, Rewards & Loyalty. Keep in mind that this app is $29.99 per month after trial. If you're on the basic plan, with the same amount of money, you'll be able to upgrade to the professional plan and enjoy a lower payment gateway fees. The professional plan also offers a higher discount in Shopify shipping and more comprehensive analytic reports. That being said, the app does offer a few features that aren't available with Shopify gift cards, such as rules and conditions for the customers to receive the gift card. It comes with a 7-day free trial period. Feel free to try out the app and see if it's a good fit for your business. If it isn't, remember to remove the app before the trial period ends to avoid app charges. A kind reminder, just like using Shopify gift cards, don't forget to reach out to the app developer and check if it can integrate with your subscription system. 

I hope this information helps, however, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reply back here and I'd be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Jason | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Jason C,

Thank you very much for your explanation it was very helpful. 

Based on the options you laid out, we decided to upgrade our Shopify account to the Shopify tear and use the Shopify gift card platform. 

However 

• How do I make the gifted client to receive the email with the gift card code? Is there a way that I can enter the email of the client receiving the gift on the check out or product area?
  • I was able to add a text area in the product page where the person buying the gift can add a message to the person receiving the gift as you can see below. However this message is not going to the email that will be sent out to the client receiving the gift card. Do you know how can I fix this problem? 

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 7.38.32 PM.png

• If the client who received the gift card uses it, where can he check the balance that he has on the gift card? Would it be possible to do this when I login to the account?

Thank you so much for all your help. 

1 Like

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
299 62 87

Hey, Paula!

No problem at all! Thank you so much for upgrading your plan and trusting Shopify. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Great questions. Here're the answers.

@PLCoffee wrote:

How do I make the gifted client to receive the email with the gift card code? Is there a way that I can enter the email of the client receiving the gift on the check out or product area?

To answer this question, let's go over the entire gift card purchasing journey with you first.

A customer selects an amount for the card > heads to the checkout point > fills in his/her/their personal information (remember to ensure you're capturing your customer's email. You can do so by Shopify admin > Settings > Checkout. Under the Customer contact section, select Customers can only check out using email.) > fills the payment information and confirms the order. 

Based on this flow, because you've captured the customer's email, the digital gift card will go to the customer's email directly once you've fulfilled the order. This fulfillment step can be automated. If you wish to do so, go to Shopify admin > Settings > Checkout. Under the Order processing section, in After an order has been paid card, select Automatically fulfill only the gift cards of the order. What this does is when you receive a gift card order from the customer, from your admin, the order will automatically fulfill itself without having you to fulfill it. 

@PLCoffee wrote:

I was able to add a text area in the product page where the person buying the gift can add a message to the person receiving the gift as you can see below. However this message is not going to the email that will be sent out to the client receiving the gift card. Do you know how can I fix this problem? 

This is one of the limitations of our gift card. Because the gift card can only go to the person who had purchased it, there isn't an add a message feature just yet. As mentioned before, at the moment, our gift card can't be sent to a dedicated email. It can only go to the purchaser. If the purchaser wants to use it as a gift, he/she/they will have to forward the gift card email to the dedicated recipient.

A good workaround is informing on the customer on the product page that he/she/they can put down the recipient's email on the checkout point. This way, the gift card email will go to the recipient instead. The only issue with this method is that the order confirmation email will also get sent to the recipient. 

We understand this is a pain point. That being said, I'd be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that it will be added, I'm more than happy to pass along your suggestions that would provide better services to the Shopify platform. If the request is already there, I can add to it to bump it up - as the more merchants that mention a feature, the more likely they are to be implemented.

@PLCoffee wrote:

If the client who received the gift card uses it, where can he check the balance that he has on the gift card? Would it be possible to do this when I login to the account?

The customer can check the balance of the gift card by using the link provided in the gift card email. If the customer doesn't have an account set up with you, you can check the balance from Shopify admin > Products > Gift cards > Customer's gift card number. Under the Card details section, you'll be able to check the balance and send the information to the customer. 

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to reach out here. I'd be happy to tackle them with you!

Best,

Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

2 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Jason, 

Thank you very much for your explanation. It was very helpful. 

I would appreciate if you could launch a feature request with the developers to make the improvements that we mentioned.

I still have some questions:

- Is there any way that I could connect the text entered on the gift card page to the email that will be sent to the customer?  

- If the person buying the gift card enters the email of the gifted person on the check out, would this create any problem when the buyer tries to login to their Abra account again? 

- I bought our gift card and tried to access the link that came in the email to find out how much credit I had, but it didn't work. Could you help me with that?

Thank you very much.

Paula

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
299 62 87

Hi, Paula!

You're most welcome! I'm so glad you've found my answer helpful! I've already launched two different feature requests on your behalf (one for the ability to leave a message for the gift card recipient and one for the ability to modify the email to the recipient's without any interference). Thank you so much for your patience with us.

Now let's work through the questions together.

@PLCoffee wrote:

Is there any way that I could connect the text entered on the gift card page to the email that will be sent to the customer?  

Since the gift card goes out to the customer in a gift card notification email through the notification section, the text entered on the gift card page won't be connected to the email content unless a developer works with you to create this feature (through editing the notification email template's HTML code). I noticed your other post on inquiring an HTML editor for the theme. Perhaps this is great timing for you to source out these tasks to one of Shopify Experts

If hiring an expert isn't your preferred choice, there's is an app called Shopkeeper Easy Gift Cards. This app can create a gift card note from your customer including a sender's name. It comes with a 3-day free trial period. Feel free to try it out and see if it achieves what you're looking for. Don't forget to remove the app before the trial period ends to avoid app charges. It may be a good idea to try this app out for a short period of time. When your business starts to grow, you can gauge if this feature is needed through the number of gift cards issued. If it falls below a certain number, you can either remove this app or hire an expert to build this feature for you. Remember, you can always reach out and consult with an expert to get a quote first. 

@PLCoffee wrote:

If the person buying the gift card enters the email of the gifted person on the check out, would this create any problem when the buyer tries to login to their Abra account again? 

If you're referring to the native Shopify customer account, the two won't interfere with each other. Since the customer has to input the recipient's email. This automatically forces the customer to log out from his/her/their account at the checkout point. By log out of his/her/their account, the customer can then put in the recipient's email.

19_19-po0rb-16tml
If you're referring to the customer accounts created by a third-party app, I recommend you to reach out to the app developer to double check if altering the customer's email to the recipient's at the checkout point will affect the customer's account information.

@PLCoffee wrote:

I bought our gift card and tried to access the link that came in the email to find out how much credit I had, but it didn't work. Could you help me with that?

This may need a little further clarification from you. When you received the gift card email, did you see this content?

19_39-bl7hw-48co3
If so, after you used the gift card, by clicking into View your gift card button again from the gift card email, you should be able to see this:
19_43-rn6qe-olcwm

Let me know if you're able to view the new balance. If not, I'd be happy to move our conversation into an email (for this specific question, I need to access your account) so I can investigate the issue for you.

Cheers,

Jason

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hi guys,

Ari here from GiftWizard.

We can totally support your use case on any Shopify plan.

We are also working on a solution that will enable you to offer Custom Amount" Gift Cards.

With our solution gift card recipients will not only get a greeting card email with the card, but they will also be able to add it to their store credit account in the store and quickly apply it to the checkout using a "Quick Apply" button, not even needing to type in or remember the digits.

0 Likes