How did you deal with the Shopify v Mailchimp divorce?

Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 11

After a week of fits and starts, a lot of frustration and some anger, I decided to stick with Shopify and replace Mailchimp.

I looked at the following, and maybe some paths I've forgotten:

• Shopify + Shop Sync + Mailchimp
  • Shopify + Mailmunch + Mailchimp
  • Indiemade + Mailchimp
  • Indiemade + Mailmunch
  • Shopify + Seguno

My goal was to stay within the same budget. I was paying Shopify US$29 and Mailchimp US$0, because I had less than 2,000 subs. If I was going to side with Mailchimp, I decided I would have to start paying for support, which meant another US$15 per month, and would soon be US$20 when my subs crossed 1,000.

The only option that stayed within the US$29 budget was the Shopify + Seguno option.

So far, the support at Seguno has met or surpassed that from Mailchimp. It is free with less than 2,000 subs with this special promotion that supposedly ends on the 15th. Oh, and there is Dynamic Banner Suite included in the promo. You can see the banner across the top of my pages at whatshesaidstitches.com

My billing dates for Indiemade and Mailchimp are May 1 and 2, respectively. So, I have about two weeks to decide if Shopify+Seguno are the way to go long term. I will have to see what my open and clickthrough rates are with Seguno. I have been averaging 35% and 10% respectively with Mailchimp.

Would anyone else care to share what path they chose?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 11

Follow-up: I emailed Seguno a couple of questions not expecting an answer til Monday and I heard back today, Saturday, within an hour! Colour me impressed.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
30 0 16

I've just decided to remove the Mailchimp app and simply continue using a signup link in my footer and on my Customer Info page. I have new subscribers coming in from Facebook, Wordpress blog, Instagram, and Shopify. As a small by choice biz, those popups, automatic emails and stats, just don't make a huge difference for me.  I've decided to embrace the simplicity. Actually, I stopped the popups anyway, because my customers disliked them so much. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
129 7 30

For what it's worth, our automation app allows you to mostly keep things working the way they were. It doesn't track product data though. It just sends customers who accept marketing to mailchimp with their details (whatever you want to send). It can also do groups and interests. Lots of flexibility if you need it. We have a small free tier, but it's only 100 actions. Food for thought anyway. :) https://www.apps.bonify.io/mr-arigato-task-automator-for-shopify/workflows/subscribe-new-customers-w...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
30 0 16

Thanks, John, I'll take a look. 100 actions would probably take this tiny biz quite a ways. 

0 Likes