How limit access to "registered" shoppers only??

3 0 0
I need to limit access to my Shopify store to "registered" shoppers only. Does anyone know how I can do this easily? Thanks, Mel Cooper mel@melcooper.com
0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

spam

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
3 0 0

No sir, NOT spam. Just a question that I need answered.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

@Mel, OK… Here you go. Easy answer: No. Reason: login based E-commerce is provably less successful.

That being said, if you really want it…

You can only authenticate Shoppers through a service you write. Assuming they authenticate with said service, you would pass them on to a password protected Shopify site with the password. Implementation of that would be your ticket.

Asking people to authenticate to buy online is akin to asking for ID to buy a Slurpee at 7-Eleven is it not? Limiting access to your online goods is an odd strategy? Whatever works for you… Good Luck

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
26 0 2

@HB, Perphaps authentication is needed for wholesale accounts or other accounts who recieve special pricing that is not public information.

The cheapest way to do his would be to use “password protect my store” option in the preferences – and then give every customer that same password. You can then create a pretty login page to submit the password for you, and make this solution look a little less ugly.

Of course, there are some obvious disadvantages to this approach, but it could work as a short term experiment until you’re ready to have someone like HB build you a customer management system to control this process seamlessly and effortlessly.

It seems like a great niche for app developers, and Jaded Pixel has alluded to there interest in producing such an app,so who knows someday it may be available for the masses

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

@all,

Sure sure sure… it’s no mystery to me or anyone else that some folks prefer private channels for selling goods and services.

If you need private channels, chances are you have a reliable, large, established clientele? Yes? And if so, you can then afford to provide them with online opportunities to purchase items separate from a Public one.

If all of this clientele gets lumped in as one tier of Special why not burn through the extra SKU’s of a separate password protected Shopify store. However if each Special client needs custom pricing, you’re in some trouble. Shopify as a platform charges by the SKU so creating multiple pricing tiers will cost you.

I for one cannot see how the API and 3rd party development will cheapen things for those with Private channel needs. Anyone truly wanting or deserving a special price or deal not available to the unwashed masses will just pick up the phone anyway.

0 Likes
45 0 0

a timely discussion to be reading, as i am currently putting a website together for a small fashion label. i won’t mention the website, as i do not wish to appear spam-like in any form.

anyway, thought i would mention that my (very inexperienced) opinion on this matter, for my client is this:

retail outlets get 50 percent off because they purchase large quantities. therefore, if someone purchase the type of quantity that a retail outlet would purchase, they receive wholesale price, 50 percent reduction.. actually i have yet to investigate whether this is possible.

there is another option of a ‘sales code promo’ especially for retail stores when they purchase from the website, and maybe that is a better idea.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3998 14 321

@qtime:

If you have a product 50% off in a public shopify store, then anyone will be able to checkout with that price since almost all client-side protection of that price can be easily circumvented.

So, you create a second store with a password, and you provide the 50% off through store that requires a password.

Now, if someone scores the password, they will get the 50% off pricing, but since they buy large quantities, this should discourage casual attempts to circumvent the pricing.

Seems a shame to have to create a second store, but it is not really that big of deal. In fact, it seems trivial compared to Shopify not being I18n… that sucks the most, especially for stores in Bilingual countries like Canada and most of Europe.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1187 1 60

If you have a site that has discounts only for members you may want to consider setting up a discount code, in conjunction with a “member id”.

In this scenario, you would administer your member list outside of Shopify. When you sign up a member you give them the discount code, and record their email address.

During checkout, you would let members “enter an email address for member discount”. At this point you would validate it against your member list using javascript.

It isn’t bulletproof, as people can simply share their member email addresses, but it might be good enough. You can always verify that they really are a member when you process the order.

Take a look at our Apps: www.bookthatapp.com ♥ www.searchifyapp.com ♥ www.productsassistant.com
0 Likes
45 0 0

thanks for comments, i greatly appreciate your viewpoints on the matter.

after making a ‘discount coupon’ for the client’s store,
i noticed that customers need to enter two different checkout pages before they get to enter their discount code.

is there any way for the customer to enter their discount code immediately within the cart section, so they can see the appropriate price before they go to checkout?

edit: upon consideration, i don’t actually know if this will be an issue for retail stores or not. if they are given a discount code in good faith, and the place where they enter the code is clearly described for them, i guess that will be fine.

i am uncomfortable asking questions about e-commerce, and also am hesitant to make any presumptions, as my experience with e-commerce in the ‘real world’ is fairly limited.. and Shopify is an excellent introduction to the world of e-commerce. so, to then question that, seems wrong. i wish to make the note that i am extremely grateful to Shopify and the Shopify community, in case my questions seem impertinent.

0 Likes