How to build buy three get one of cheapest item for free?

danielhep
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm trying to build a discount scheme where the customer adds any three items to their cart, they get offered to add another of the cheapest item in their cart for free. I'd also be okay with it automatically adding in the cheapest item free. I can't seem to find a plugin for this but I wanted to ask before I go and make a custom one.

Thanks!

Replies 6 (6)

Katy
Shopify Staff
779 43 178

Hey, @danielhep !

Katy here from Shopify. I hope all is great with you!

This type of discount can be a great way to showcase more of your items as well as generating more sales for your business. There are a couple of ways you can go about adding this feature to your store.

The first would be natively via the Shopify admin. This free option involves using the discount section of your admin. Under automatic discounts you can create Buy X Get Y Free offers (info on setting this up here). 

10-31-a90gz-fivbt

By default, the cheapest item will be offered for free and you can set the collection to your Catalog page so that it applies to all products store-wide (info on this here).  For this discount to be applied however each of the items, will need to be added to the cart. There is no pop-up prompting your customers to add these additional items, but you could consider adding a banner or notification on your store detailing this offer.  

Alternatively, you may like to consider one of the following apps to help:

Each of the above apps offer an example store for you to see this in action. They also come with a free trial for testing out on your store, before committing to a plan.

You are of course also welcome to create your own app if you like too. We have some resources to help with this here

I hope this helps- do feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Katy

Please note: This account is no longer regularly monitored.
 - If you need assistance please do start a new topic (referencing an older topic/post if you find this helpful).
 - Thank you for your understanding. We hope you enjoy exploring the Community.
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog.

Simone-Mangano
4 0 0

Hi Katy, your reply was usefull but i would to know if the same logic on cheapest item is done also for percentage discount instead of free offer.

If i create automatic discount as follow:

Spend 100€ have 20% discount on one more items

I would that the discount will be applied to the cheapest item.

It's possible?

thank you

Simone M

Katy
Shopify Staff
779 43 178

Hi, @Simone-Mangano !

Thanks so much for joining in here and I am glad to hear that you have found the above information helpful.

Regarding your own follow-up question, do you have an example that you can share with me? From what I understand -  you looking to offer a 20% discount to the cheapest item in a customer cart, once the total cart value has reached €100.  Is this correct? 

With the default settings of the Shopify admin, in this scenario it is different I am afraid. The same logic is not followed, and it would apply this 20% discount to all items in the cart, not the cheapest item (when more than one item has been added). Let me show you:

19-41-3d0xc-hn6za

While there is the option to limit this to one use per order, this refers to the discount as a whole, and not per each item.

To specify this even further, and offer 20% on the cheapest item only, an app would be the best option here. Those above should do the trick to help you with this.

I hope this helps you out, and thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,
Katy

- If you need assistance please do start a new topic (referencing an older topic/post if you find this helpful).

Simone-Mangano
4 0 0

Hi, Katy, i made test on the store using my personal account and all seems work fine.

i set buy x get y with min number of items to get one more at 50% and the discount was applyed to the cheapest.

I think it work in the same way if i create the same flow with automatic discount, right?

thank you

Katy
Shopify Staff
779 43 178

Hey, @Simone-Mangano !

Thanks so much for your reply!

My apologies, Simone. I think I had misunderstood what you are looking to do/offer. I had understood that you would like to set a rule for your customers to purchase more than one additional item on top of the minimum order spend amount, before offering a discount. I think I had been combining your question with elements of the initial question, my mistake.  

Yes, this should do the trick, if you specify the quantity in the cart to '1' then any additional items (above your minimum spend limit) specified, will be discounted. If there exists more than one of these items added to the cart, then the cheapest one will get the discount

Thanks for reaching back out to clarify. 

Cheers,
Katy

HelloUDF
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Katy, 

I've followed your instructions to create BUY 3 FOR 2. However it does not apply to all products I've put in the cart. Some products work but others don't. 

Is there anything you can do to help me?

Thanks and Regards,

Jing