How to have customized search filters on the home page?

FurnishEG
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello everyone,

i need to have a filtered search on the home page so that the user enters the website and choose all the criteria suiting his/her needs.

Replies 8 (8)

Nancy_Drake
Shopify Partner
176 9 19

Hello @FurnishEG 

We use Ultimate Product Filter+Search to add search filter on the homepage for our clients' sites. It's highly customization and does not cram your theme with unnecessary codes.

AI Search & Product Filter | SB - Check out our Shopify search and filter app to drive more sales

Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @FurnishEG

This is Rae from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out with this question. 

You mentioned that you'd like customers to be able to choose certain criteria on your site. Have you thought about which criteria you'd like to have available, or which filter options you'd like to offer? Once I have these details, I can help recommend an app that's well suited for your needs.  

In the meantime though, the app suggested by @Nancy_Drake is a great option to consider, and I also recommend checking out these choices, too: 

All of these apps can be used to help create customized search filters on your site. However, it's important to note that they're also all third-party integrations, so if you have any questions or concerns about using these apps, please reach out to the app developers directly for more help.

This information should get you on the right track, but let me know if you have any further questions! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

chenster
Shopify Partner
134 5 29

@Rae Will Shopify predictive search API be able to achieve what OP was asking for? Or is it only built into specific themes that are supported? Thanks.

Cartoo
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @chenster

Great question! 

Predictive Search API can help offer suggestions related to keywords, but this is slightly different than using filters, or selecting criteria, to determine search results. For a better look at how suggestions are displayed with this API, check out this link

Predictive Search is included on these themes, but can be added to other themes by following this advanced tutorial. Additionally, Shopify Experts can also help with adding this feature to a theme. 

For more details on how Predictive Search API works, I recommend posting this question in our Shopify API & SDKs forum, too. Many Experts and Partners who are well versed in API spend time answering questions there, so they can likely help further.

Cheers, 

chenster
Shopify Partner
134 5 29

Thanks! So in other words, predictive search could be offered as part of free features from a Shopify theme, but filters and selecting criteria would be something to be customed made, or via an app. Sounds about right?

Cartoo
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @chenster

I appreciate you following up. 

Some filtering options like  'quick product filtering', 'collection filter in sidebar', or 'advanced product filtering' are built into some of the themes offered in our Theme Store. However, setting up filters with specific criteria is typically handled best by an app that can be customized with advanced rules to suit the merchant's unique needs entirely. 

Are you looking to set up filtering options on a site, too? If so, I'd love to hear more about your plans, and help suggest the best course of action to get this feature enabled! 

chenster
Shopify Partner
134 5 29

Thanks for getting back to me! The filter API is very nice. But what really making the feature shine are those apps. Was thinking about to develop one myself but it seems to be a monumental tasks. And competition is already high. 

Cartoo
Rae
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1166 95 361

Hi, @chenster

Thanks for letting me know about your interest in building apps! We have some great resources that may help you decide if you'd like to move forward with your plans. 

As a starting point, this help document explains all the steps associated with building apps, and making money from apps you've built. Equally, if you'd like to learn more about the process of building apps, and how to get started, check out this guide. I also suggest reading over this blog post for some tips and advice shared by other app developers. 

In the meantime though, if you have further questions or concerns about this, I do recommend posting these on the App & Partner Platform forum boards. That way, other developers who have specific experience with this topic may be able to lend a hand. 

Best of luck with this!