How to make customizable frame?

Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know what app can help me make a customizable frame fraome on Shopify like this site does with it's frames?

https://www.diplomaframe.com/baru/masterpiece-medallion-diploma-frame-161715.aspx

Basically once a customer selects a print/poster on my webstie I want them to be able to see the print/poster they are buying in a frame and be able to customize it by being able to select:

1) Type of moulding

2) Color of top matboard

3) Color of bottom matboard

4) Select whether they want the artists name embossed on the matboard

I would appreciate any insight into how this is possible on Shopify. Thank you!

0 Likes
Excursionist
97 0 7

Hello there,

That’s pretty complicated. To do that, you’d need a way for a customer to upload an image and then have that image show up in all of the variant combinations for the parameters you listed.

There are a bunch of apps that will let customers upload an image with an order, but it doesn’t seem like any of them let you preview the image on the product image like you want.

Also, will you be taking photos of every combination of matte and frame you offer for each of the parameters you listed?

Todd

ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify

Todd - ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify - https://shopclerk.net
0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Todd,

Thanks for getting back to me. Just to clarify the customer will not be uploading their own images. They will be selecting images/prints on the the website to customize. My intention was to have one button to click to select the top color matboard and another button to select the bottom color matboard. Is this something someone with a computer science/coding background (not sure what the terminology is) would be easily able to do if there is not app? Thanks for your insight!

0 Likes
Excursionist
97 0 7

Hi again,

You’re welcome! Thanks for clarifying. That makes things a lot simpler.

Do you want people to browse a gallery that shows all of your prints?

So, you could do this a few different ways. You could do this one without any special apps or programming. It would be a decent amount of work though.

1. Each of your prints is a separate product.
  2. For each of your prints, you would create variants for type of molding, color of top matte board, color of bottom matteboard, and artists’s name.
  3. You would then want to take a photo of each combination of frames, mattes, and artist’s name. Do it generically, w/o the prints in them. If you have 
  4. You’d then make a copy of each image for each of your prints and add the image of the print to the image of the frame / matte combo.
  5. So, if you had 10 prints, 10 frame styles, 10 upper matte colors, 10 lower matte colors, and Y/N artist’s signature, you’d have 20,000 individual variants with images in total. Yikes!

So this might be a very large undertaking. But if you don’t often add frame styles or matte colors, this would be a 1-time effort for your current inventory and then you’d have to create a new set for each new print you add in the future.

There are some bulk product editing apps in the store, but nothing that would do the image creation. I haven’t tried any of the bulk editing apps, so I’m afraid I can’t recommend a specific one. They would let you quickly and easily create all of the products and variants, but I think you’d still have to upload the photos for each variant individualy.

You should be able to reduce the manual work of creating all of the imagers with the ImageMagik app (not a Shopify app), which is a free, open course image editor, which could automate the process of creating the specific variant images for each print product. Thinking about it more, if you had individual images of the frames and upper and lower mattes, you could probably do all of the combining with this tool, vastly reducing the amount of manual work you’d need to do.

So by using a bulk product edit app and ImageMagik, the hard part would be uploaded each of the product variant combination images. 

I would also recommend looking at Variant Image Automator, which, while I haven’t used it, looks like it lets you control how many images will show up in the gallery for each product. If you’ve got a total of 2,000 product variant combinations, then you definitely don’t want 2,000 images showing in the gallery.

Is that helpful?

Todd

ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify

Todd - ShopClerk Order Tracking for Shopify - https://shopclerk.net
0 Likes