How to uninstall apps complete

Highlighted
6 0 0

I notice that after uninstall some apps, there are still left some codes in dfferent  liquid or css files. How can we completely remove those unused code?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
356 30 59

Hello @KKWAN

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, here to help. Thanks for your post! 

Currently, when an app is removed from the store, there is generally some code left behind, though newer apps are working to resolve this with a system that removes code along with the deletion of the app. 

In the event that some code was left behind, such as in your case, you have a few options. You can try using a different version of your theme if you don't have other apps installed and don't mind some general setting up work or installing a new theme altogether. If the app wasn't used but rather just installed and uninstalled, you can also roll back to the previous version of your theme. 

1. Click Older versions next to the .liquid file name

2. Click the drop-down menu to select an older version. Clicking a datestamp will roll the code back to that saved version.

Other than changing the theme or rolling back to a previous version, reaching out to the app dev would be your best bet. You can find their contact information in the App store to the right on the specific page of the app in question. 

Let me know if I can help clarify any of that! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
36 1 5
Send an email to the developers of all the apps you uninstalled requesting exact uninstall intructions. Then backup your theme files. Then go in and process all the uninstall instructions. If you don't have any developer knowledge, you may break some stuff.

If you have installed many apps in the past and also manually edited theme files, this will be a tough job.

You could also compare your current theme files side by side to the theme files as you just installed the theme (e.g. by redownload the theme files with your version number/a theme backup of that time).

What code developers do when installing new modules or updating code:
- maintain versions and clear descriptions of changes
- keep all module code in files separate from code of other modules
- build automatic tests to ensure the interface still works after (un)installing modules.
Just trying to help out.

We are web app developers, SEO ethousiasts, and do all kinds of other cool internet things.
Check us out at https://public-apps.com
0 Likes
6 0 0

Thanks for your suggestion. It is really the tough job.

0 Likes