I'm getting an excessive number of email sign ups through my shopify site and now I've been flagged

Highlighted
4 0 0

I've been with Mailchimp for many years and had it integrated with my shopify site.  I'm still with mailchimp + ShopSync because I'm the only one who handles my site and I just can't deal with learning something new right now.

Even before Mailchimp and Shopify split ways, I was getting a lot of suspicious email sign ups on my site.  Now it has really gotten excessive and my welcome email that is an auto responder has been flagged as abusive by Mailchimp because of a high number of spam reports from the welcome message that is only sent to people who sign up through my shopify site.

Does anyone know why I would be getting so many sign ups?  I seriously doubt they are genuine customers. I'm not getting any sales. I would love some advice on what to do.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
117 8 20

Hi, 

You may be getting spam signups from bots. To fix the problem of too many signups that aren't genuine, you'll need to enable a recaptcha to weed out the spam bots and disqualify them from signing up. 

If you want to prevent being flagged as spam, you may need to enable the double opt-in with Mailchimp. This would send them an email asking them to confirm their subscription, then it would send the welcome email once they have accepted. It would prevent people from being falsely signed up for your newsletter because if they don't click confirm, then Mailchimp doesn't add them to your list.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Thank you. I had another 65 sign up today. Would be nice if they were
real.

Is the recaptcha part of shopify or mailchimp?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
117 8 20
Hi,

Recaptcha can be added via Mailchimp. When you login to your account,
you'll go to signup forms to configure it. You'll have to use the Mailchimp
embedded form instead of any Shopify app in order to use the Recaptcha
feature.

Good luck!

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Thank you so much for the advice.  Why would bots want to sign up for my email list?  What do they get out of it?  I rarely send out emails.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
117 8 20
Odds are, they are looking for vulnerabilities in your email signup system.
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0
Yes. Clearly, but why? What would they do with that? The emails that are
being used to sign up appear to be real email addresses, probably harvested
in an illicit way. What good does it do to use them to sign them up on my
email list? I could understand if they wanted to spam those people but
what good does it do to add them to my list?
0 Likes