Integration with other Site/Services

4 0 0
I work on a site with its own userbase and products. We've built our own ordering system and it works ok at best. We'd like to find a replacement and use a 3rd party cart for ordering and so I am looking at different options. It seems Shopify is great for a stand alone commerce solution but not sure how it would do with integration. We would like for a user on our site to be able to purchase a set of products for other users on our site. Thus, would need to someway to communicate to Shopify (restful web service) who is purchasing and who the products are being purchased for as well as the products. Then display the product page accordingly in shopify, then allow checkout with shipping/taxes, etc. using shopify. Finally, I'd have to send (restful web service) the resulting total cost and shipping information back to my site so we can track it. Does this seem out of the norm to attempt? Wondering if I'm better off updating my existing ordering system? Trying to get thoughts from the Shopify experts. Thanks. Karmen Blake
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 281

This can be done, Karmen.

However, the customer will have to enter his name, all his shipping and billing info at checkout. While checking out, Shopify in other words will not know anything about him/her. When the transaction is completed, you can use webhook (or Shopify’s API) to notify your own web application/site about the order so that you can then (and only then) tie it up with the corresponding user account automatically. It’s also possible to do without webhook or the API if you are willing to tie up orders with your own application after the fact, ‘manually’.

Does that make sense?

By the way I implemented for a client a sweet and cheap way to create server-side user accounts in Shopify, without any need for a stand-alone application. The limitation described above still holds: the customer still has to enter his info at checkout. But at least it’s possible to have certain features (like ‘add to cart’) accessible to people who have a Username and Password (and their own, not a universal login).

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes
8 0 0

Hi Caroline,

I’m interested in your user accounts solution.

Could you email me re: any details?

Bests

Darley

d (AT) acommoncreative (Dot) com

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
5704 0 281

@Darley,

I will email you with a link to the client’s site where you can see it in action. It’s brilliant. And it’s server-side!

The login system is used to show/hide the Add to Cart forms and links to pricing PDF downloads. By ‘hide’ I don’t mean with CSS, and by ‘show’ I don’t mean with JavaScript. It’s truly server-side. Again, the log in is not a universal login. Each customer has his username and password.

Bye bye,

Caroline from http://11heavens.com ∴ mllegeorgesand AT gmail DOT com
0 Likes