Inventory app with xero integration, multiple locations, autobuild bundles from stock

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi, I would really value some informed recommendations for a robust solution to my inventory woes. I have recently updated to Shopify from Squarespace and Xero from AccountEdge. I need to tie Xero and Shopify together with better inventory management than either Xero or Shopify presently have. I have 3 inventory locations and sell from 2 of them. One is in the US and the other is in Australia. UK is a possibility in the future. We publish and sell our own books. <e2epublishing.info> Have approximately 100 line items currently but expanding. We sell a lot of bundles so I need a system that can auto build bundles from stock and track inventory as appropriate. I'd rather it did not send me broke paying for it too. ;-)  If this is not the best forum to put this question to, I would value a link to the better option.

Suggestions as to what to look at gratefully received.

Many thanks

Mark

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
96 0 23

Hey Mark,

Are all your inventory locations on Shopify, or are some inventory locations in Xero and thats why you also need to sync inventory between Shopify and Xero? Just trying to understand your setup better!

⚡Sync your stock levels + bundles/kits in real-time between any number of Shopify, Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Faire, Squarespace, Square stores with Trunk
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2
Thank you for your response. Most of our retail sales go through Shopify. However we do a lot of trade sales and need to be able to track our inventory through multiple locations. Ultimately to keep track of our accounts Xero needs to be aware of stock movements and sales no matter what the channel.

I hope that helps clarify the situation. Thanks again.
0 Likes
Highlighted

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Mark,

I believe that you need more robust system than Shopify and Xero only. Since you need to create bundles, you might need an inventory management software. Maybe, have a look at Dear. It has bill of materials (for you to create bundles) and also may be able to connect a few selling channels. Also, I would recommend you to process everything through Shopify, even if you are processing sales offline. This way, at least, you will have all your sales in one place. However, I strongly believe that you won't avoid having a separate app for inventory management, unless you will be adding more SKUs to Shopify in the form of bundles.

Masha.

---
Accounting professional with experience in e-commerce and other industries. Specializing in Xero & QBO setups, year-end/period-end catching up, and monthly support
www.canadiancloudaccounting.ca
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi Masha,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I did post the question a while back and have done a lot of research since.  Your advice is spot on.  For a company of our size (small) Dear Systems or TradeGecko was recommended. We went with TradeGecko but I believe Dear Systems is equivalent. We are also in the process of evaluating ShipStation and StarShipIt. Again very similar systems.

For others who may see this thread I'd strongly suggest contacting Jeri Wambeek, Co-Founder, WhichAddOn. She gives great advice and can point you in the right direction after taking all the time it takes to understand your business and it's requirements.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

cheers

Mark

Highlighted

Glad I could help.;)

And, yes, you are right - without in-depth information about the company, it is hard to give more details on what could/should be done. I based my answer on my experience with inventory management in manufacturing and e-commerce/retail. However, the setup of all systems is individual for every company and research and extensive testing needs to be done before you'd be able to run everything smoothly.

Masha.

---
Accounting professional with experience in e-commerce and other industries. Specializing in Xero & QBO setups, year-end/period-end catching up, and monthly support
www.canadiancloudaccounting.ca
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi 

I wonder if I can pick your brains! I've just moved to Shopify and its going really well. However, I have an expensive managment system that doesn't really do what I need at a reasonable price. It works but its not value. I'm looking at an new accountancy package but need a really good inventory control package too. I'm looking at xero for accounts, but very interested in your thoughts on trade geko as it looks like you may have been using it for a little while now. Is it working for you? Thanks so much for your thoughts. 

Tamasine

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2
Hi Tamasine,

Glad to hear Shopify is working well for you.

I tried TradeGecko for a month or two going to the trouble of setting it up but found some limitations that were deal breakers for me. Main one was that you could not have an e-commerce portal (at that time) that automatically integrated with a shipping solution like StarShipIt or ShipStation. I wanted my B-B customers to be completely automated including at checkout calculations of Postage via my account with eParcel. It’s bundling functions were kind of clunky too as I remember.

I gave up on it and went to Dear Systems which cost and feature wise was comparable but I just received notification that prices are being hiked. :-( That is the problem with subscriptions. They can just keep hiking and there is not a lot one can do as the friction with changing is considerable. Anyway the conclusion I came to was that design wise TradeGecko looked nicer and worked fine but did not do some things I needed it to do. I’m moderately happy with Dear Systems.

We use Xero and that is working fine for us.

Hope this has helped,

Mark
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1
Thanks so much for that input Mark - that's really helpful.

I've decided that I do need to make the change, so need to get my skates on now as I need to have things in place for end August and the final decision make end July.

Xero seems good - does that integrate with Shopify easily? I'm assuming so as they both seem pretty smart companies that would talk to each other easily.

I'll take a good look at Trade Geko as I don't need bundles and actually I don't really need the shipping integration, (I don't think right now!).

Really appreciate you taking the time to come back to me!

Regard

Tamasine
Managing Director

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2
No problem Tamasine.

I was where you are 12 months ago. :-)

Two things:

1. Shopify and Xero do integrate well except inventory. Given you are interested in Trade Geko presumably for it’s inventory capabilities Shopify and Xero’s integration capabilities are a moot point. Plumbing wise Shopify would talk to Trade Geko and Trade Geko would talk to Xero. Shopify and Xero would not talk directly. Trade Geko would become the centre of your world and the other two would just feed it.

2. My advice may not be great for two reasons. One is I don’t really know the landscape, only what I have encountered in my limited experience. And two is that I don’t know your business or requirements at all.

I think I recommended contacting Jeri Wambeek from https://whichaddon.com/earlier in this thread. I can’t recommend her/them highly enough. She gave me an hour or her time to analyse my company setup/needs and make informed recommendations for free. Thus I’m giving them a heavy plug. I do owe them. I’m trying to find a problem that I can pay them to fix but so far I keep working it out myself. :-(
good luck

Mark
0 Likes